Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: national and state parks

national and state parks

I HAVE BEEN READING ON LINE ABOUT NAT. AND STATE PARKS ANSWERING MANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE POSIBILITY OF CLOSING DOWN THIS SUMMER DUE TO THE VIRUS PROBLEM.Has anyone else done so?
    TURTLE
    TURTLE

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Re: national and state parks

I haven’t checked yet but it does concern me considering I have a trip to Alaska planned this summer!
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

I heard one State Park in Georgia is closed to the general public, and being used for a quarantine area for people with the virus.

Haven't heard anything else about the other state or national parks, sorry.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It looks like only the Theme parks (Disney, Sea World, etc.) are closing for now. I did see something about Alberta parks closing but nothing in the US as far as State or National Parks.
    My daughter and her family are camping out West right now so they haven't started closing yet.
    2019 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

I would think getting out of the dirty, crowded city, and into the fresh clean outdoor air would be one way of avoiding the virus. Might want carry a spray can of Lysol into the bath house. I wonder if campfire smoke kills virus? They tell me I'm at the age where it can be deadly, but if I were camping, I would go happy. I hope they don't close the parks. Is anyone changing their camping plans over this threat? One of the RV owner groups I follow, has changed their "spring" rally date to September, and encouraged those with reservations to keep them, just don't congregate in a group.
    Lloyd and Judy in Columbiaville, MI.
    2013 Ural Patrol
    2012 Burgman 400
    We tent camp

I am heading up to Gettysburg for a 3 day weekend (motel camping) with 2 friends the first weekend in April. Unless something changes, we have no plans to cancel and I too am in the "age group" that of concern. *shrug* I figure everyone is dying of something and I am not going to stop living.
    Deb

2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

The parks closures in Alberta, Canada were an "economic" closure by the provincial government as they were "under-utilized". Damned conservatives. Not all the parks were closed. Unless they close down all travel within Canada and the US, it would make sense to keep the parks open and let people get away from people.
    Last edited by Jim C-G; 03-14-2020 at 09:19 AM. Reason: spelling

I've not heard any reports of the National Parks closing other than people on the net wondering about it.

I agree with Jim C-G that if I want to get out, going to where the air is clear and where I'm not likely to encounter large gathering of people would be a good thing. On the other hand, if there is a real concern that rangers and park workers may be at high risk for exposure, I'd understand that. I'd be upset, but I wouldn't complain. One of the things I don't want to do is have others suffer greater exposure or risk so I can have my fun.

Having said that, I really hope this all clears up before the Sturgis Rally. Visiting the parks in the area is one of my main activities while I'm there.
    I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by menhir View Post
    I've not heard any reports of the National Parks closing other than people on the net wondering about it.

I agree with Jim C-G that if I want to get out, going to where the air is clear and where I'm not likely to encounter large gathering of people would be a good thing. On the other hand, if there is a real concern that rangers and park workers may be at high risk for exposure, I'd understand that. I'd be upset, but I wouldn't complain. One of the things I don't want to do is have others suffer greater exposure or risk so I can have my fun.

having said that, I really hope this all clears up before the Sturgis Rally. Visiting the parks in the area is one of my main activities while I'm there.
    WELL SAID,MY FEELINGS ALSO.but i hope the COWAN gap camp-in will be on.I think if they do close it will be after schools are out for the summer.MAYBE OPEN UP IN SEPT.
    Turtle

Several of us have reservations and are holding out hope for a stay at Breaks Interstate Park(Breaks Va) in mid-April during the Hillbilly Days fest.(another questionable event) in Pikeville Ky. Breaks is managed by both the Virginia and Kentucky park service, so could be interesting. May need to find an alternate meeting location... but don’t plan on canceling the ride. A 3day weekend riding the Appalachians is always a good way to start the season. B.
    2008 GL1800
    CSC Escapade Elite cargo trailer
    Kwik Kamp camper trailer