Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip into New England states

Trip into New England states

My friend and I will be doing a 2 week jaunt up through the NE (Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Upper NY). She is not a camper so while we will be doing motels, we do want to site see as she has never been up this way before. Can you offer up any must see locations? Perhaps offer some must do roads?

We will be leaving from VA and our final destination, assuming time allows, is PEI. I have the Canada time planned out with things like Peggy's Cove, Bay of Funday, Cabot Trail, and PEI. That will pretty much eat up our time in CA.

Thoughts? Suggestions on what to see and what not to see?

Thanks
    Deb

2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Re: Trip into New England states

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    My friend and I will be doing a 2 week jaunt up through the NE (Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Upper NY). She is not a camper so while we will be doing motels, we do want to site see as she has never been up this way before. Can you offer up any must see locations? Perhaps offer some must do roads?

We will be leaving from VA and our final destination, assuming time allows, is PEI. I have the Canada time planned out with things like Peggy's Cove, Bay of Funday, Cabot Trail, and PEI. That will pretty much eat up our time in CA.

Thoughts? Suggestions on what to see and what not to see?

Thanks
    be SURE TO RIDE UP MT.WASHINGTON AND RIDE TO THE BLACK SAND BEACH COAST OF MAINE.GREAT motorcycle roads every where with beautiful country side.Have a great and safe trip.
    LuRay
    TURTLE

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by LURAY View Post
    be SURE TO RIDE UP MT.WASHINGTON AND RIDE TO THE BLACK SAND BEACH COAST OF MAINE.GREAT motorcycle roads every where with beautiful country side.Have a great and safe trip.
    LuRay
    Thank you

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

The Finger Lakes Region in NY is very nice. Lots of vineyards there. Make sure you check out Watkins Glen, in Watkins Glen, NY
    Check out Lake Placid in the Adirondacks and nearby attractions (Google)
    In Vermont, Stowe is a favorite. Nearby Smugglers Notch is a worthwhile drive and not sure if the Von Trapp Family Lodge (Sound of Music fame) is still operating after her death.
    When heading over into NH and Mt Washington, take Hwy 112(Kancamagus Highway). It's a beaut of a ride/drive. Nearby Crawford Notch and area is also worthwhile, so you might want to grab a room in/around Conway, or Gorham to do some daytrips in the area before heading for Maine

Dusty
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    The Finger Lakes Region in NY is very nice. Lots of vineyards there. Make sure you check out Watkins Glen, in Watkins Glen, NY
    Check out Lake Placid in the Adirondacks and nearby attractions (Google)
    In Vermont, Stowe is a favorite. Nearby Smugglers Notch is a worthwhile drive and not sure if the Von Trapp Family Lodge (Sound of Music fame) is still operating after her death.
    When heading over into NH and Mt Washington, take Hwy 112(Kancamagus Highway). It's a beaut of a ride/drive. Nearby Crawford Notch and area is also worthwhile, so you might want to grab a room in/around Conway, or Gorham to do some daytrips in the area before heading for Maine

Dusty
    Thank you. I was hoping you would chime in

Do not ride after dark or very early mornings MOOSE .

Gearbox has given you some good info. I have come across moose on I-95 in Maine and they just don't move as fast as deer. They just saunter their way across the highways as if they know they are bigger and heavier than you are.
    And Dusty beat me to Watkins Glen and the Finger Lakes where I live. The lakes are scenic and their are hundreds of wineries now and I have sampled a lot of them and they are great. Also a couple of hours west of Watkins Glen is Niagara Falls, always a tourist draw. If your in western NY, I can spend a day riding the area with you. Also, KerryB lives in the general area of Niagara Falls and may want to ride the area with you.....contact him.

Jim

Jim

If you have time riding the loop around Acadia National Park, very pretty. While there take a trip up Cadillac Mountain, stop and dip your toes in the water at Sand Beach. You can stop at Jordan Pond House at Acadia for tea and popovers. Exit the park and drop down to Bass Harbor Head Light House or stop in to Thurstons Lobster Pound in Bass Harbor, very Maine experience eating lobster on the Pier looking out at a working waterfront. Heading to PEI from there you could travel up Rt 1 drop off and head to South Lubec and see West Quoddy Head Lighthouse, then on into Lubec and cross over to Campobello Island see the old Roosevelt House. If you have time go over to Eastport and stop into the Raye's Mustard Mill Museum and buy some of the best stone ground mustard you've ever eaten.

Standing invitation to you and your companion or any motocampers. If your traveling across into Maine on Rt. 2 or up I95 we live in Pittsfield, I'd be happy to buy you guys lunch at our local eatery and swap riding stories.

Have fun, post lots of pics.

(Threadstarter)

Thanks again

I don't think there are any hotels on PEI. Or at least I didn't find one when I was up there, ended up at a B&B. It was nice though.
    2019 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA