Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Trip

Site Supporter

Alaska Trip

Ok folks our adventure starts again next week with a new Lees-ure Lite camper to replace the 15 yr old model that we used last summer. We have a number of destination planned already in the calendar starting out by heading south to FL., back to KY in March, April will take us south again to LA and north again to KY, May will take us to NY. then SC then back to PA. June points us to Hunt's in TN, then WI the following week end. Finally in July we plan to be in Deadwood SD for a week till the 18th.
    OK your wondering why I titled this thread "Alaska Trip". Well here is where all the ?s start. As some of you already know Deb and I are recently retired last May and we are staying out on the American Byways with our 2 Spyders, our camper, and a CanAm trailer we call "Blue" as our chuck wagon & solar / battery power. Right now our plan is a relaxing trip (300 miles/day) camping every night from Deadwood SD to Alaska. Trying to stay off all toll roads and most if not all super slabs.
    Question #1. Never ever been to or having ever talked at length with anyone who has been to Alaska, what are the MUST see destinations we should put into our itinerary? Remember we don't have adventure bikes. So very little to no gravel roads is our highest preference. Not worried about getting dirty just Spyders are prone to put rocks through their belt drives.
    Question #2. On a trip like this is the time spent getting to Alaska the longest part or is the travel in the state of Alaska take the most of the time in the saddle?

Our return trip is to be south along the west coast but we plan to be back to Steelvile MO for Bass River camp out the 17th of Sept.
    All ideas, suggestions, and comments are greatly appreciated.

Robert & Deb

Re: Alaska Trip

I envy you guys and your trip... look me up in south Florida when you get down here. I'll pm you my # . Dan
    2012 Limited Harley Davidson +09 Aspen classic
    ( WIFE MADE ME BUY THEM BOTH)
    The only time you can have too much fuel.............is if your on fire!

Sounds like you have a very understanding wife. I could never get my wife away from the house/flowers/garden for that long.

--
    Gordon

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Have you ridden through Yellowstone/Chief Joseph/Beartooth/Glacier/Banff/Jasper yet?

Dusty
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

We have only gotten as far west as the Devil's Tower. Thanks Dusty some of those might become part of the return trip.

Hi Rob and Deb,

Heading north from Deadwood some spots to see depending on your route:
    Beartooth
    Glacier National Park
    Waterton Lakes NP
    Elkwater/Cypress Hills
    Dinosaur Provincial Park
    Kananaskis Trail/highway 40
    All of the Canadian National Parks in the Rockies. Banff, Jasper, Yoho and others
    Maligne Lake
    Mount Robson
    Whistler Tram
    Laird Hot Springs
    Teslin Bridge
    SS Klondike
    Dawson City
    Kluane Lake
    Chicken
    Morris Thomson Cultural Center
    Museum of the North
    Alaska Pipeline Viewing Point
    Denali NP
    Talkeetna
    Alaska Sealife Center
    Kenai Fjords Tour
    Alaska Ferry, Whittier to Valdez
    Homer
    Cassiar Highway
    Steward/Hyder Fish Creek viewing area, the road to Salmon Glacier is gravel
    North Cascades NP Highway 20
    Lolo Pass, highway 12

As to question #2 it really depends on a persons interests and pocket book. Some folks will spend most of their time doing things in Alaska/Yukon, Sightseeing tours, fishing charters, Flying/tours. Other riders may take their time in BC/Alberta and just hit Alaska for a few pictures just to say they rode to Alaska.

Start the day dreaming/Googling and post your questions
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1800 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
    Our return trip is to be south along the west coast but we plan to be back to Steelvile MO for Bass River camp out the 17th of Sept.

We have only gotten as far west as the Devil's Tower. Thanks Dusty some of those might become part of the return trip.
    Those places are on the way north! (Because of the time of year, Google won't route through some of the areas due to those roads being closed, but you get the general idea) - https://goo.gl/maps/oSVpwPXBetmStS9y7

https://goo.gl/maps/yUYgJmSqi21TSf1a8

For your trip south from Alaska, take this route - https://goo.gl/maps/6iCah25ckNrUx94i7

Dusty

Having ridden to Alaska, I’ll mention that if your Spyders belt drives are prone to damage from rocks or debris as you claim, be mindful of the fact both Canada, and Alaska use crushed rock to repair and repave their roads with, and they seem to do it on a continuous basis. You’d be wise to check your drive belts frequently.
    You will also find that the sharp crushed rock causes increased tire wear ...

G

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Thanks again Dusty I will look closer at the map next time.
    Thank you G not what I wanted to hear but will keep a vigilant watch.

There are some things that any one riding to Alaska need to be sure about. You will have rain. You will have road construction. You need to be able to handle it. You might get lucky and not have to deal with a lot of it, but if you aren't prepared to handle a lot of it, you probably shouldn't go. The other thing is that it is a a very long way. If you prepare for the worst, you will likely have a good time. If you don't have the right attitude, you will be miserable and probably not finish the trip. I saw how you guys were packed at Hunt's last year. If you haven't lightened your loads considerably, you will be at a huge disadvantage. Good luck.

Richard