Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2-up camping......on a cruiser?

Re: 2-up camping......on a cruiser?

The key is packing light and using light weight backpacking gear. Pack only what you need. If you think you might need it then DONT pack it (unless its meds, first aid, or the like) Not a cruiser but in the pic we were over packed for two up camping. Tent in the duffel bag along with small pillows. The bag on top of the duffel was just rain gear. Everything else in the saddle and tank bag. We could have easily got by with no tank bag and smaller saddle bags.

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

I see some pictures of solo bikes with bags on it. The OP was 2-up camping.... on a cruiser.

I might suggest that one take into consideration the weight limits on your tires and the weight limit on the bike you are attempting to do this. I will bet, that you are over limit when attempting to do this.

Solo, allows one to stack or a bag to go on the passenger pad and drops 150 lbs of the 2nd rider. Just about any motorcycle can accommodate a moto-camper.

When riding two up, there is not enough real estate and weight capacity on my Goldwing 1500 to do it with any of the creature comforts necessary for my girl friend and I to get along with.

We both require cots. 23 lbs each. Rain gear..... cooking stuff.

My solution to this has been a trailer. For the last two years, I have hauled a trailer on any 2 up camping trips. Now, if we are not camping.... we can motel travel fine without it.

The top bag has our sleeping bags, sleep pads & pillows, clothes bags, and rain gear. All light stuff. We look like hobos!

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

2 up, but not a cruiser...... It looks like they have everything they need

Quote Originally Posted by ErikR View Post
    2 up, but not a cruiser...... It looks like they have everything they need

I am sure their tires or the bike is not over loaded. I like the fit on his helmet. It came with the bike.....

I suppose he could try to improve the fit by turning it around... like this

Quote Originally Posted by ErikR View Post
    I suppose he could try to improve the fit by turning it around... like this

If this girl is married.... I wonder if she has a sister?

Hi, one thing I use is a dry bag, beside keeping your stuff dry you can compress the hell out of it. Most important is planing and minimising before you start packing.
    Claude,
    La Prairie, Qc, Canada

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

You can also use the dry bag as a pillow in a pinch, just catch some air in it and roll it down. Works good under a mummy bag!
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

You'll need a luggage rack for sure. What I did before I started pulling a trailer is I bolted a board that was a little narrower than my saddlebags and a couple inches deeper than my luggage rack. Added some eyebolts for tiedowns. What this does is let you tie down everything and keeps it steady so it doesn't shift when you lean the bike. But I carried way too much stuff too.