Thread: Nelson Rigg NR-300 Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Nelson Rigg NR-300 Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag

My 12 yr old trunk rack bag is finally worn out and faded after many miles of use, so I decided to upgrade to a larger bag made by Nelson Rigg called the Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Rack Bag NR-300

I received it today and checked it out and I like what I see/feel

Although I haven't ridden with it yet due to the weather/snow here, I did test pack/fit it and it has plenty of room and attaches solidly to my rear seat

My old bag had to have the top zipper replaced about 4 yrs ago as it split and it's now ripping along the seam where the zipper is sewn to the bag.

Here's a couple of shots of the old bag, what I could barely stuff into it and it mounted on the rear seat. .........

Some shots of the new Nelson Rig bag ........

The handles are sewn and riveted on ....

Inside of bag showing 2 zippered mesh side pockets, a large zippered mesh compartment on the underside of the lid and an adjustable hold down buckle

Rain fly sized to fit bag when in "expanded form" with a toggle for adjustments, seams are taped and has covered exit holes for the 4 buckle straps

Side views showing another riveted handle and a side pocket that expands outwards about 2"

The bag can be expanded from 63 Liters by 10 Liters, to a total of 73.5 Liters via a zippered expansion near the top of the bag.

This is it loaded on my bike with a bunch of my camping gear on my bike, in it's normal configuration.
    I have it attached to the bike using just the rear 2 attachment buckles and it seems plenty solid like that. Makes for a fairly comfy backrest .....

Here's what I have packed inside the main compartment in it's normal, unexpanded mode ...

Top layer .....

Mid layer .....

bottom layer ...

Although a tad on the pricey side, it is a spacious quality bag and is backed up by Nelson Rigg's Lifetime Warranty!

I will update this once I get a few trips with it in under my belt, but it looks very promising.

Dusty
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Re: Nelson Rigg NR-300 Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag

It's a nice bag! I picked one up this past June 2019. Ordered it from the local Cycle Gear when they were having a sale. I store the rain cover in the mesh pocket under the top lid. Used the bag on my Tour-Pak rack this summer. Worked well. I previously was using a Nelson Rigg GWR-1000.
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

I really like Nelson Rigg gear, I have a roll top seat bag that I've used since 2002 that's still going strong!
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

I like the look of that bag Dusty. I've been cogitating getting a bag for my luggage rack on the back of my old Kingpin. It was originally a Kingpin Tour but I took the trunk off of it and put it on my Cross Country, so I need something to replace it. A soft bag that could be strapped down securely might be a better idea than some other replacement hard trunk. Let us know how it works for ya!

just another Saddle Tramp
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by lqqk_out View Post
    It's a nice bag! I picked one up this past June 2019. Ordered it from the local Cycle Gear when they were having a sale. I store the rain cover in the mesh pocket under the top lid. Used the bag on my Tour-Pak rack this summer. Worked well. I previously was using a Nelson Rigg GWR-1000.
    Was thinking that would be an ideal spot to store my Frogg Toggs.

Dusty

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Was thinking that would be an ideal spot to store my Frogg Toggs.
    Makes sense. You don't keep the raingear in the saddlebags on your motorcycle?

just another Saddle Tramp
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by lqqk_out View Post
    Makes sense. You don't keep the raingear in the saddlebags on your motorcycle?
    Normally yes, but makes more sense in the top of the bag for if I need to put on my rain gear, I might as well put the rain cover on the bag, so less wasted movement when I'm out on tour.

Dusty