Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sturgis 2020

Re: Sturgis 2020

I go there every year and my camping reservations have already been made. Actually I made them several months ago.

Yes, this year is the 80th anniversary, and I'm guessing it'll be a big event. I was there for the 75th anniversary and it was HUGE.
    (If you're planning on staying at a hotel instead of camping, you probably better find a place like, right now.)

The crowds didn't bother me...Every year at Sturgis is busy. Actually, I just take it in stride. Plan for it.
    There is so much to do in and out of town. The whole area is a scenic wonderland.
    I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by menhir View Post
    I go there every year and my camping reservations have already been made. Actually I made them several months ago.

Yes, this year is the 80th anniversary, and I'm guessing it'll be a big event. I was there for the 75th anniversary and it was HUGE.
    (If you're planning on staying at a hotel instead of camping, you probably better find a place like, right now.)

The crowds didn't bother me...Every year at Sturgis is busy. Actually, I just take it in stride. Plan for it.
    There is so much to do in and out of town. The whole area is a scenic wonderland.
    Where abouts are you camping, and what are your recommendations.

Thanks,
    Gordon

I camp at Bear Butte Creek Campground. It's just past the Buffalo Chip heading out of Sturgis. It's a relatively quiet spot whose owners don't put up with a lot of dumbassery. It's nice for those of us who like to get a decent night's sleep.
    It's the only place I've ever stayed at when I'm at Sturgis, so I can't really comment on any other sites.

Quote Originally Posted by lqqk_out View Post
    The cost for camping at Shade Valley during the rally was $165 + tax, per person. The price didn't seem to unreasonable, especially since I was there for nine nights. Or you can pay a daily charge, which I think was $45 per day. If you are going to be there more than three nights, the rally week price is the more cost effective option. If you are just primitive camping, there is no need to make a reservation.
    Don't mean to get this thread side tracked but I stayed there in 2012 and it was a nice place, i believe it was its first or second year open. This campground is more laid back then the others suggested so if you don't want to be in the middle of everything this campground is it. I believe if I go again I will camp on the west side of town because all the riding seemed to be that way so everyday you had to ride through town which was like a parking lot.

I won't be going this year but want to in the next few years but may hit it the week before the actual week.

I'd like to go to Sturgis just to say, "been there, done that" but it's a long ride from southern Ontario and I don't think my wife could take the miles sitting that long.

Dale

It takes me two and 1/2 hard riding days to get there from Western PA. I don't mind long hours in the saddle though, if that's what it takes to get someplace I wanna be. The worst part of the trip is the traffic near the Chicago area, even though I give the city a wide berth.

For anyone who is going out the first time, the biggest lesson I learned was to prepare for literally anything weather-wise. Daytime temps are usually nice, but the night times can vary wildly. Pack a decently warm sleeping bag. Heavy thunder and wind storms can blow up fairly regularly and from time to time, icing and hail.

It's weird out there.

The first time I was there I packed light sleeping gear. I watched too many cowboy movies as a kid and just assumed everything out West would be hot days with sleeping-under-the-stars warm nights. :-)

But: Don't let these remarks scare you off...I love going there. Like any other camping trip: prepare properly and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by menhir View Post
    It takes me two and 1/2 hard riding days to get there from Western PA. I don't mind long hours in the saddle though, if that's what it takes to get someplace I wanna be. The worst part of the trip is the traffic near the Chicago area, even though I give the city a wide berth.
    What route do you take?
    My last two trips to Sturgis I traveled via:
    I-80 to Iowa City, IA to
    I-380N to Route 20 Sioux City, IA, stay on Route 20 through Nebraska to Valentine, NE to
    Route 83N to Route 44W to Route 73N to I-90W

Certainly not the fastest, but I enjoy riding through small towns and avoiding the Interstate when I can.

Like you, I usually don't mind the "hard riding" or long days in the saddle. Last year (Sturgis 2019) I left my house on Wednesday morning (07/31/2019) and I was in the campground by Friday afternoon (08/02/2019).
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Quote Originally Posted by lqqk_out View Post
    What route do you take?
    My last two trips to Sturgis I traveled via:
    I-80 to Iowa City, IA to
    I-380N to Route 20 Sioux City, IA, stay on Route 20 through Nebraska to Valentine, NE to
    Route 83N to Route 44W to Route 73N to I-90W

Certainly not the fastest, but I enjoy riding through small towns and avoiding the Interstate when I can.

Like you, I usually don't mind the "hard riding" or long days in the saddle. Last year (Sturgis 2019) I left my house on Wednesday morning (07/31/2019) and I was in the campground by Friday afternoon (08/02/2019).
    That's been my usual plan, too: Leave Wednesday, arrive Friday afternoon. I once gave it an extra day to shorten the longest leg of the trip, but I spent the first night thinking "I could be there in two more days instead of three."
    Now that I'm retired, I may take an extra day coming home, though.

My usual route:

Day 1:
    I80 West, which becomes I90/80 to Gary Indiana, which is as close to Chicago as I get.
    Essentially, stay on I80 until I camp near Davenport Iowa.

Day 2:
    I-80 West to Iowa City IA
    380 North to Waterloo IA
    218 to Floyd IA
    I-27/18 Mason City IA
    35 North Albert Lea MN
    I-90 West to my campground just past Mitchell, SD

Day 3:
    Stay on I-90 to Sturgis

Day 2 seems convoluted, but it's almost all smooth, relaxing cruising. It's a welcome break from the traffic on Day 1. Even though It's still all Interstate on the latter half of Day 2 and all of Day 3, it's a lot nicer to me because the changing scenery keeps me interested. Also, the Interstate on the plains states has much less traffic and none of the rude, furious, grasping cagers that are common on the more populous Eastern portions. It's a nicer, calmer Interstate.

I usually order my riding days so the longest/hardest days come first. On the way back, I followed the same route, but camp at Charles City IA the first night, and then near the Indiana/Ohio border the next night for the same reason...Putting the longest days first.

I reevaluate my plans every winter to see if I want to change it up for the next trip. I'll take a look at the way you go, too.

Oh yeah. I've already made my Sturgis reservation but this year I may have to skip out. It turns out my daughter and son-in-law are now expecting their first child, which would make me a first time grandfather.

You wanna guess when the due date is?
    Yup.
    Early August.

Well, family comes first.
    But if the baby comes first, I'll be riding off to get him/her a souvenir Sturgis onesie, T-shirt, bib, rubber ducky, or something like that.

Another option is the Dragpipe Saloon across the road from the Full Throttle, very reasonable rates, you can walk to throttle at night if wanted.

(Threadstarter)

Oh yeah. I've already made my Sturgis reservation but this year I may have to skip out. It turns out my daughter and son-in-law are now expecting their first child, which would make me a first time grandfather.
    Oh you are gonna have fun. My first Grandson is now 15 months old....having the time of our lives.

--
    Gordon