Thread: Acadia National Park, Blackwoods Campground

Tent Acadia National Park, Blackwoods Campground

Well... let's start with the positive. Everything you've ever heard about the scenic beauty of Acadia, the pictures, etc... it's all true and even more. It truely is the East Coast version of Yosemite. The grandiose splendor, the natural variety, can't say enough good things about how beautiful Acadia National Park is. It should be on everyone's "must see" list.

Now the less than good... stayed at the Blackwoods campground. In my opinion, it was "assembly line" camping. Decent sized sites but jammed REALLY close together. Want to hear your neighbor snore at night? This is the place for you.

I don't meant to sound all camper uppity, but this campground seems to draw the "Recreation Site" camper and not the ardent outdoor type; VERY different campground manners between the two. Bathroom facilities INSIDE the campground is limited to toilet stalls and sinks. Showers are only available right outside the campground for the low price of $1.50 for four minutes, good luck on the hot water.

The Seawall Campground is also on Acadia, farther west that Blackwoods. Must try that on the next trip, from what we hear, that campground is farther removed from all the touristy stuff that surrounds Blackwoods, so it draws a different kind of camper.

So in summary: Acadia - beautiful. Blackwoods Campgound - been there, done that, not going back. Sea Wall Campground - When I go back, I'm going here.

Kevin

Re: Acadia National Park, Blackwoods Campground

Quote Originally Posted by kalexander64 View Post
    Well... let's start with the positive. Everything you've ever heard about the scenic beauty of Acadia, the pictures, etc... it's all true and even more. It truely is the East Coast version of Yosemite. The grandiose splendor, the natural variety, can't say enough good things about how beautiful Acadia National Park is. It should be on everyone's "must see" list.

Now the less than good... stayed at the Blackwoods campground. In my opinion, it was "assembly line" camping. Decent sized sites but jammed REALLY close together. Want to hear your neighbor snore at night? This is the place for you.

I don't meant to sound all camper uppity, but this campground seems to draw the "Recreation Site" camper and not the ardent outdoor type; VERY different campground manners between the two. Bathroom facilities INSIDE the campground is limited to toilet stalls and sinks. Showers are only available right outside the campground for the low price of $1.50 for four minutes, good luck on the hot water.

The Seawall Campground is also on Acadia, farther west that Blackwoods. Must try that on the next trip, from what we hear, that campground is farther removed from all the touristy stuff that surrounds Blackwoods, so it draws a different kind of camper.

So in summary: Acadia - beautiful. Blackwoods Campgound - been there, done that, not going back. Sea Wall Campground - When I go back, I'm going here.

Kevin
    Thanks Kevin I was up in that area a few times but never stopped. I guess I will have to next time.
    Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”

My wife and I visited Acadia last fall and it was a beautiful area, was worth the visit. We didn't camp, but stayed in town on this trip. The attached picture shows my wife on top of Cadillac Mountain in the park, the view is spectacular.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maine 2007 031 (Medium).jpg  
    Alan

IBA 20568
    AMA 402014
    2003 Honda ST1300
    1969 Honda CB750

Thumbs up Re: Acadia National Park, Blackwoods Campground

I am planning a New England Moto Camping tour and Acadia is on my list. Tentative plans to camp here. May have to look at Seawall as a better option. Thanks for the update.

Acadia is a beautiful park but can get pretty hectic. I usually stay on the "quiet" side of Frenchman's Bay at the State Park in Lamoine. Nice park, great facilities and only a short ride to the park. When you're on that side go to to the lesser known but , if my mind, other part of Acadia. It gets fewer than 1/6 the visitors of the big park.

George - Kingman, Arizona George's Avatar

I was there three years ago, too early in the seaons for the best of everything but the scenery was still great. Didn't camp there.

After my motorcycle trip to the Laconia rally and some nice riding in the White Mountains, it was a no-brainer. With the weather being so nice and sunny, I decided instead of heading south to go home, I would head east along the coast of Maine. I headed to Acadia National Park and camped at the Blackwoods campground for two evenings.
    Date of Stay: 6/20/2016 - 6/22/2016 (2 nights)
    Cost: $20 fee for motorcyclists to enter the park (good for 7 days), $30 per night/site campground fee
    So for park entrance and 2 nights camping, the cost was: $80

Restrooms had running water and were clean. No showers!
    Water spigots were also located around the campground
    Each site had a table and a fire ring.

Campground has two loops (A and B) with A loop containing 152 sites and B loop containing 136 sites.
    When I arrived on Sunday evening, I had no reservation and was able to get a site. By the next day (Monday evening), almost all the sites were occupied.

An important consideration for motorcyclists: The site loops seem to go around a hill/mountain and ascend up one end and then descend making parking a motorcycle difficult if you happen to get a campsite on the part of the loop that is on the descending side. Basically, you would be parking your motorcycle somewhat on a downhill. After I was assigned my site I found the parking to be somewhat difficult. I rode back to the ranger station and explained the situation. The ranger said to drive around, and make note of a few sites that looked empty that you like and just come on back and I'll move you to one of them, which is what I did.

I don't agree with the review above (post #1). I walked completely around the B loop, while some of the sites are close together, many of them seemed somewhat hidden. I also don't understand what the above reviewer means by "recreation site camper and not the ardent outdoor type". Many people in the campground had mountain bikes, kayaks, paddle-boards or were just out hiking and exploring during the day. In the evening, they were on their campsites cooking a meal.

Acadia has a number of hiking trails and some nice roads to take the motorcycle on (Park Loop Road, Sargeant Drive) and Bar Harbor Village and the waterfront is quaint with a number of nice restaurants, bars and ice cream shops.
    While I was in the area I continued riding further east along the coast to Jonesport and Beals Island. As someone who grew up on Long Island, the coast of Maine brought back a number of childhood memories.
    I certainly recommend placing Acadia National Park on your list of places to visit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails acadia2.jpg   acadia1.jpg   beals1.jpg   beals2.jpg  
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

burgman650

Lamoine State Park - Park is beautiful. Has outstanding sunsets, and picture taking. Not crowded and not too far from Bar Harbor.