Thread: Smugglers Notch State Park

Thumbs up Smugglers Notch State Park

This State Park is a few miles north of Stowe, VT on Mountain Road (Vermont 108)

Stayed here back in late June (car camping) and WOW is this a must do on a motorcycle tour!!! The park is relatively new, built in 2003; moved from another location to this site. It boasts 9 drive in sites, 11 walk ins and 14 lean-to sites. The camp sites sites are all top notch, roomy, level, compacted gravel pad, picnic table and fire ring. Electricity is NOT available at any site, There's a central bathroom and shower facility which is VERY clean and VERY nice. Be cautious of the paved road down through the park to the Park Office, I swear it's 10% or 12% grade.

Other than the camp ground volunteer's RV, you won't see another RV here at all, maybe a pop up but NOT an RV. I'm not a big fan of moto camping next to the RV crowd. The whole area is densely wooded with limited visibility to the other sites.

Not sure if it was fluke or if it's a mountain altitude thing, but there was hardly ANY bugs fly, crawling or biting. That's big plus.

Had no problem getting a site during the week but it fills up fast on the weekends; VERY popular with the hiking and bicycle crowd.

The asphalts in the area was nice, scenic sweepers but not technical twisties. enjoy the scenery type of riding rather than enjoy the road. The scenery up there is stunning and this State Park is nestled literally smack in the middle of it.

Kevin

Re: Smugglers Notch State Park

I think this Park was on my list for the Nova Scotia ride in 2007 that never happen.
    Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”

Great idea Kevin. Motocamping in Vermont.... I think I will look this place up this coming Fall.
    Dave
    <<<< Willville in April

'99 ST1100

Scenery? What scenery? HAHA!! I did the notch on my bike a couple of weeks ago...it was wet, not raining thank God and the steepest thing I've ever done in my life!!! At the bottom, my friend stopped and laughed...I yelled out, What the hell was that?...he said, you just did Smuggler's Notch! I asked him to explain when we would going thru an area like that again...I'm from flatland! HAHA!! Should have skied down that thing, not ridden it! HAHA!! Linda

Well as a matter of fact -- they do ski on it in the winter. Road is closed and not plowed; it's a ski trail.

bob
    in Northfield, VT
    bob
    "Live while you're alive"
    1983 V65 Magna
    Northfield, VT 05663

I'm just seeing this NOW!!! HAHA!! My friends never mentioned that facr but I sure FELT like I was riding down a SKI HILLLLLLLL!!! I past the skill test I guess albeit in the WRONG gear that day and I will never forget that ride as long as I live!!........It was 1 hell of a ride! HAHA!!

KB, you just passed the test for the ski patrol.........

Quote Originally Posted by trapperdick View Post
    KB, you just passed the test for the ski patrol.........
    Yep! I KNOW!!! Believe me I KNOW!!! I'm alive................................HAHA!!