Thread: 5.70 x 8 Tires for Mini Mate Trailer

5.70 x 8 Tires for Mini Mate Trailer

So, purchased a lightly used 2017 Mini Mate, compete with fenders, awning, and add-a-room couple of months ago. So lightly used it still smells new. I've been slowly adding a hitch and wiring to my R1200RT to tow the mini mate. I've noticed with the hitch that I purcahased that even on the lowest setting of the hitch, there is still an incline to the trailer that I dont like. So, will be adding an 1 1/2" PT spacer some time soon and am thinking I'd like to switch to 5.7 x 8 tires instead of the 4.8 x 8 tires presently installed. Fabricators website said not to use anything other than the 4.8 x 8 tires, but I've a long history of thinking I know better than others, to that end, has anyone installed 5.7 x 8 tires on their MM had how did they perform? Any clearance issues? Any issues that I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Re: 5.70 x 8 Tires for Mini Mate Trailer

Not on a Mini Mate but on other trailers. Make sure you have the clearance and your good to go.

I saw them on a MM last week at an IBMC event. He had lifted his axles 3” and put the
    larger tires on. They fit under his fenders too. I was told that hard bumps result in a little
    rubbing.

Jeff
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

I installed them on the MM I sold to BaggerHog. I put a 2x6 under the axle to raise it up so there wasn't any issues of the tires rubbing. Worked good.
    2019 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

Information from the Kompact Kamp website, though it's not completely relevant to the question.

https://www.kompactkamptrailers.com/...per-p145294146
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

BMWMOA #193702
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by lqqk_out View Post
    Information from the Kompact Kamp website, though it's not completely relevant to the question.

Yes, that is the statement I was referring to. My camper came with the risers installed, I'd need much more clearance for the larger tires as there is quite a bit of travel in the axles.

BMWMOA #193702
    (Threadstarter)

Thanks for posting, good information.

Quote Originally Posted by lqqk_out View Post

The price isn't bad but not worth it if you still can't install the bigger tires. A piece of scrap 2x6 (or 2x8?) isn't as expensive and I know it worked on mine.

BMWMOA #193702
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
    The price isn't bad but not worth it if you still can't install the bigger tires. A piece of scrap 2x6 (or 2x8?) isn't as expensive and I know it worked on mine.
    The camper I purchased is a 2017 and came with those blocks installed. I don't think there is enough room for full axle stroke, so I'm going to follow your lead and use a PT 2x6. I think the 1 1/2" should be fine for vertical travel, there is room for the tire width wise. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Newportcycle View Post
    The camper I purchased is a 2017 and came with those blocks installed. I don't think there is enough room for full axle stroke, so I'm going to follow your lead and use a PT 2x6. I think the 1 1/2" should be fine for vertical travel, there is room for the tire width wise. Thanks for the feedback.
    Cut the 2x6 the same length as the camper is wide where the axles mount and mount is across, not along the side as those blocks in the video. You'll need longer bolts...