Thread: Time Out Camper Axle?

Time Out Camper Axle?

OK fellas, I need some input. I have an older Time Out camper,(early 90's), and I noticed that one tire was wearing more on the inside edge. After further inspection, I discovered that the left side was off about 3/16th of an inch at the spindle,(measuring dead center of the spindle, with the trailer dead level, comparing the inside to the outside). The question is, do I put this thing in a press and try to get it closer to true, or, just order another axle from Time Out? I'm still getting around 7,000 miles out of the Carlisle USA Trail tires, so is it really worth the effort to mess with it? Thanks for any help, or ideas.
    2005 Triumph Rocket III
    Time Out Camper

Re: Time Out Camper Axle?

Quote Originally Posted by kyscootertrash View Post
    OK fellas, I need some input. I have an older Time Out camper,(early 90's), and I noticed that one tire was wearing more on the inside edge. After further inspection, I discovered that the left side was off about 3/16th of an inch at the spindle,(measuring dead center of the spindle, with the trailer dead level, comparing the inside to the outside). The question is, do I put this thing in a press and try to get it closer to true, or, just order another axle from Time Out? I'm still getting around 7,000 miles out of the Carlisle USA Trail tires, so is it really worth the effort to mess with it? Thanks for any help, or ideas.
    It's a little hard to say without seeing it in person, and not knowing your abilities. It can be straightened in a press ,but it also can be crushed in a press. I have had much success with heat. If you have a torch.(cutting torch) the tube can be heated on the opposite side of the bend,if it is bent up,heat the bottom about half way around the tube and let cool. This will draw the tube. If it is not enough heat a little more. I usually heat half way around the tube and about 2" long to cherry red. If it needs more I do the same just behind where I heated it the 1st time or reheat but 4" long area. Let it completely cool ,the last few hundred degrees is where it really starts to move.

(Threadstarter)

Thanks for the reply. I ended up making a jig, and using a floor jack to cold press it. It's within a 1/16 of an inch now. I'm going to go ahead and run it, and see if it does any better.

Quote Originally Posted by kyscootertrash View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I ended up making a jig, and using a floor jack to cold press it. It's within a 1/16 of an inch now. I'm going to go ahead and run it, and see if it does any better.
    I have a Ibeam I use to push and pull from. I use a bottle jack with it. If your with in a 1/16" it should help with the tire wear.

I can fix your issue for $1600, just buy my 2007 TimeOut. See the listing... http://www.motocampers.com/forums/sh...-for-sale-2007.
    Scott from Central PA
    2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII
    2007 Time Out
    American Voyager Association