Thread: The Smokey Mountain 500 - Get yer Dual Sport On!

The Smokey Mountain 500 - Get yer Dual Sport On!

I just recently learned that there is a 500-mile, mostly gravel all two-way public road loop through the Smokys and Nantahala. It's a 3-day trail with stops at three MC campgrounds. It has a Facebook page of course and a thread on ADV Rider, which is the best place to get info IMO.

Since I just this year disowned my allegiance to sport tourers and got on a V-Strom, I'm feeling like I should find more gravel to ride on. This might do it.

SM500 on Facebook

Here's their thread on ADV Rider

Green states, camped in - Orange states, ridden in.
    Jerry
    2013 DL650 V-Strom ADV, 2002 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, 1990 Honda VTR250

Re: The Smokey Mountain 500 - Get yer Dual Sport On!

Thank you for posting this. I'm curious about various dual sport rides since I'm looking to add a dual sport to the stable. I'm have my eyes on the KTM 790 Adventure R. While in Strugis I took one out on a test ride. Awesome!
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Re: The Smokey Mountain 500 - Get yer Dual Sport On!

I found this post interesting since I have been downsizing my "herd". I am trying to sell my Victory sidecar rig and my MiniMate camper. I sold my BMW and recently acquired a much smaller dual-sport Royal Enfield Himalayan. Yup, I'm going back to sleeping in a tent. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190820_112002061_HDR.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	622.6 KB 
ID:	23368
    We ride because we can .... Victory Hammer with Trans Moto Sidecar, Kompact Kamp Mini Mate