Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Hauler Camper trailer Search and recommendations

Toy Hauler Camper trailer Search and recommendations

Hello All,
    me and my wife are searching for a lightweight Toy Hauler that we could be able to haul our Can-Am Spyder RT 2017 LTD in it. We would like to be able to pull it with a Ford Explorer so need less than 5,000 lbs.. We found so far the Sportsmen Classic 180TH but do not like the double bed who remove lot of space for our bed since we are only two. Also found the Coachmen 17BSLE who was great but find out yesterday that not enough space inside for the 105" long Spyder. Waiting to visit the Ozark 1700TH probably next weekend and also waiting for the dealer to receive the Wildwood FS181RT so we could also mesure and try to put the Spyder in. We will be changing our Explorer next spring for a 2020 and they add an extra 300lbs towing capacity and will also make sure to have the Anti-Sway bars kit. So any other recommendations for a model that you know a Spyder could be load in???? I know We will have to load it backward but it will be ok if we could at least find one....

Thanks for all your precious help in advance!! No we do not want to have a fifthwheel we are looking to stay small..

Regards

Re: Toy Hauler Camper trailer Search and recommendations

We have a work and play by forest river, ours is larger than you are looking for ,but I believe they offer smaller coaches. Also wolf pack makes many models ,you might check there web site out.

Eagle 27 owns both a spyder and a toyhailer. I can't remember the make. But I would get one if we were 2 up. Enjoy riding my own too much at the moment.

Thanks all fo rthe answers!! After doing a lot of calls and measures I have concluded that I will need to chnage model for a bigger one and change my Explorer for a F-150 to get bigger towing capacity and be safer that way!! Regards

Always a tough call on getting a new vehicle just to tow with. It increases the cost of ownership on everything you do. But, you will be much happier after you do it! Having a tow vehicle that you can count on is never the wrong choice! That extra weight on the trailer is also worth it. Once you start packing extra things like a tank of water, you will find the weight going up fast!

We wanted a toy hauler too, but couldn't quite justify it. Not yet anyhow. Another 5 years when retirement hits us, I suspect we will be moving up to a toy hauler and a much bigger tow vehicle! :-)
    -- Jeff
    2014 H-D Limited
    2005 H-D Dyna Trike
    2008 Roll-A-Home Camper

When looking for a toy hauler to pull with the F150, check the tongue weight. I have a Sportsmen 270thle and the unloaded weight is 5470. The tongue weight is 955. I pull it with a2015 Silverado 1500 Z71 5.3 with the HD towing package and a WDH. Even with that, I am limited to 1200 lb tongue weight. I try to load it to keep a lot of the weight behind the axles.
    I load my GL1800 right over the axles.
    2012 GL1800 Pearl white
    2005 Bunkhouse LX
    AMA life member

Thanks! Yes we do and so far the only one fitting all the criteria is the Sunset Park Rush model # 26FCWQB who is only 26 ft and the Spyder could enter in front if I remove the hitch and the floor plan fit us better with the bed in the right direction so we could get out on our own side.... Thanks all

Glad you are deciding to change tow vehicles.

I had an older Ford F250 that I used to pull my 6 x 10 trailer from Canada down to Phoenix with my Indian Roadmaster with. Pulled great.

Last year we bought a 2019 Ford Explorer and pulled it down there (2500 miles). The trailer acted like a parachute, tail wagging the dog. We got into some slippery roads, and I was "white knuckled" most part of the way. Had to stop early every day because of slippery roads. Keeping in mind, I'm a tow truck driver, and am out on the roads in the worst kind of weather for work.

Told the wife, we ain't doing this again. The roads on the way back were good, and the Explorer pulled it, but not great. Gas Mileage was the total $hits.

I now own a 2019 Ford F250.

--
    Gordon

Yes totally understand and listening to comments was also a fact and not enough choices too!! And we prefer to be safer with more towing capacity and control...
    Regards

2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II