Thread: Anyone using Cardo Packtalk units?

Anyone using Cardo Packtalk units?

I'm looking to wire my helmet for listening to music, using phone and talking to other riders. Does anyone out there have experience with the Cardo Packtalk?
    We ride because we can .... Victory Hammer with Trans Moto Sidecar, Kompact Kamp Mini Mate

Re: Anyone using Cardo Packtalk units?

I dont have a packtalk in particular, but I have several cardo units, and others too. I find the cardo/scala stuff to be the best. A lot of people got all hot and bothered over the sena stuff....I'm not seeing it. Granted I have an older SMH5 unit, but its annoying, sound quality is meh, and overall didn't impress me. I've had a scala QX for many years now, and it still has a decent battery and works pretty flawlessly. I picked up a pair of Q9x units when they were stupid cheap at a dealer by me a couple of years ago as well. They dont get used much, but they are also very good. I have found them to lock up a few times on the road, which sucks. Usually plugging in a charger will reset them.

I've also tried the uclear units, and not really been impressed. Again, definitely go cardo. I dont use a fraction of the features. All I care about is music and taking the occasional phone call, and their earpieces are very strong. I did try and use the person to person connectivity before, and I just didnt really need it. I dont really care to talk to her anyhow.
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derick View Post
    I dont have a packtalk in particular, but I have several cardo units, and others too. I find the cardo/scala stuff to be the best. A lot of people got all hot and bothered over the sena stuff....I'm not seeing it. Granted I have an older SMH5 unit, but its annoying, sound quality is meh, and overall didn't impress me. I've had a scala QX for many years now, and it still has a decent battery and works pretty flawlessly. I picked up a pair of Q9x units when they were stupid cheap at a dealer by me a couple of years ago as well. They dont get used much, but they are also very good. I have found them to lock up a few times on the road, which sucks. Usually plugging in a charger will reset them.

I've also tried the uclear units, and not really been impressed. Again, definitely go cardo. I dont use a fraction of the features. All I care about is music and taking the occasional phone call, and their earpieces are very strong. I did try and use the person to person connectivity before, and I just didnt really need it. I dont really care to talk to her anyhow.
    Derick, a buddy and I are looking to buy a pair of these before heading back to Alaska next summer. Can you plug the Cardo units in to a 12 volt accessory port and charge them while using them? From what little I have read the Cardo is more waterproof between it and the Sena. I do like the fact that the Sena has an FM radio built in.
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironheadziggy76 View Post
    Derick, a buddy and I are looking to buy a pair of these before heading back to Alaska next summer. Can you plug the Cardo units in to a 12 volt accessory port and charge them while using them? From what little I have read the Cardo is more waterproof between it and the Sena. I do like the fact that the Sena has an FM radio built in.
    The cardo packtalk in both the slim and bold have built in FM radios. In my research the bold has slighter better range than the slim, other than that they have identical features. You can charge them using a usb cable while on the go also.

My wife and I have the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 models. Yes, they are old by today's standards. We are not very happy with them. Can't recommend them to others. We got them because I won the first one and then bought a second to go with it.

The wind trigger the mic too often while riding. Not adjustable enough. Went so far as to wrap the mic in plastic and it was still too sensitive.

They are NOT waterproof! This is my biggest issue. We rode in a storm once and every since then mine is super flakey. It keys the mic for no reason randomly.

The newer stuff may be better, but I would find a way to try them out in real world situations if you can. We still have not found a solution that is reasonably priced and that will actually work. We are back to hand signals and being married long enough to read each others minds at any distance. ;-)
    -- Jeff
    2014 H-D Limited
    2005 H-D Dyna Trike
    2008 Roll-A-Home Camper

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeemMeUp View Post
    The cardo packtalk in both the slim and bold have built in FM radios. In my research the bold has slighter better range than the slim, other than that they have identical features. You can charge them using a usb cable while on the go also.
    Ron, thanks so much buddy. I've been busy lately and haven't had time to do much research, and was going off what the parts guy was telling me about the Sena units at my local dealer. Good to know the info about the Cardo units having FM and charge and ride capability! Thanks again!