Thread: Interlochen State Park, Interlochen MI

Interlochen State Park, Interlochen MI

Last weekend we decided to head north instead of south and stayed at Interlochen State Park in northern Michigan. I would say overall the experience was good. The park was beautiful, and they even had a vintage camper show this weekend which was super fun to check out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190622_183047.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	339.1 KB 
ID:	23134

My one gripe, which isn't unique to this particular park, is that Michigan STACKS up people in the camp sites. Our site was levelish, and had full shade which was great, but we were an arms length away from the next space. In addiiton, because of the full shade, they dont really have a proper slot for each site. Not a problem for me obviously with a tiny motorcycle camper, but I felt bad for the guys with 30+' rigs trying to get in between the random trees throughout their camp site.

Shower/bathrooms were typical levels of funk. You can only really rely on the cleanliness of the other campers in such situations, but we saw the janitor guy each day we were there trying his best to keep up.

Mayflies were nuts and were EVERYWHERE, but they dont seem to care too much about humans, so not a huge deal...but something to watch out for if you travel in June.

Camp store staff was super nice, selection was good, and their wood bundles at $5 were priced better than other places outside of the park. Their wood also burned decently. We bought a bundle up at Tom's food market up the road, and that stuff wouldnt burn.

Weather was beautiful, and we did a 90ish mile ride on saturday around Glen Haven, Glen Arbor, Sutton Bay, and back to Interlochen through Traverse City. Coastal riding of Lake Michigan was fantastic, nice cool breeze off the water kept it very comfortable. Highly recommend stopping at Grandma Lin's Ice Cream shop in Sutton Bay....it was fantastic at a great price.

Unfortunately, we didnt make it to the chill-out, but at the same time I didnt want to deal with hours and hours in the rain riding. We had zero drops of rain throughout the weekend, and altogether had a perfect trip.
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Re: Interlochen State Park, Interlochen MI

Nice trip.
    Gary

2005 Honda VTX 1800,2001 Honda Shadow VLX, 1970 Honda Passport 70
    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 175
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

Ya, they stack you in there pretty tight. I was there two years ago and they gave me an ADA site it was a level paved site next to the shower/rest rooms, nice for an old guy!

I asked the attendant why they gave me the ADA site, did I look like I need it.... she said it was after 6 pm and it was the only site left.
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1800 & GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

I've been in a lot of campgrounds that sound just like what you're describing... The trick is to spend as little time as you can in the campground and as much time as you can looking around, either on the bike or just walking around the area.
    2019 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

Not far from the state park is Cycle-Moore campground. One price gets you in and you can camp anywhere you want. It is rustic but they do have electric in one area. They have a covered pavilion you can sit under if you want. The showers always have hot water. I really enjoy camping there and it was where the Northwoods campout was held. I think camping was 10 bucks a night last year.

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)

Yes I know Cycle Moore. I wanted to try something different this year. I really liked the full shade. Not so much an option there.