Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Riding to Alaska Info

Re: Riding to Alaska Info

Thanks for the info! Planning on Alaska in 2020.
    2010 GL1800 Endeavor Reverse Trike, Leesure Lite Excel camper.

HarleyJack

Always get gas when there is some available , ya never know ... First time on a bike was in 1979 , ALCAN was really fun back then ...
    2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironheadziggy76 View Post
    Great info Bob! Luckily I have never had to get off the bike when crossing the borders. I always tried to remember to tell them the brand name of the bear spray and tell them that yes it does have a picture of a bear on the label. I normally gas up every chance I can.

I thought Dease Lake area would be bigger! Where’s the best place to stay there? Last time we stayed at the RV Park in pouring rain.
    The part of Dease Lake you see from the highway is just a quick oh wow I missed it. There is a road or two that go off to the west side of the highway where everyone lives, airport and such but the business area is what you saw in the highway.
    Camping there? I only stayed there once and it was in an RV, there was a free community campsite south of town on a river but there were fish in the river and bears all over, I would not put up my tent there. I think that RV site is about it. I prefer to camp at Bell2 It's at mile 155 from the south end of the Cassiar. They have a campground, nice bathrooms and lodge, cabins and dining room. If I am in my pup tent I get an RV site and use the power for my cpap.
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

(Threadstarter)

My wife and I just rode up the Alcan yesterday and today. We turn off the Alcan tomorrow and ride to Skagway to catch the ferry home. The construction season has started on the Alcan. A week and a half ago I rode south from Whitehorse and there was only one gravel construction area, now there were 6 of them and they are staging gear for a few more. One of the sections was 40 km long of gravel. If it's wet you will be covered in mud, if it's dry the dust can be so thick you can't see 20 feet.
    On my southbound leg the smoke from forest fires was thick south of Watson Lake. Riding north there wan't any smoke because it was raining cats and dogs. When the rain stopped south of Toad River and the sky cleared it was stunning. All the mountains had fresh snow.... it was 41-46 degrees most of the day till the sun came out.

Good info, Bob!! We have lived in AK since '78 and Wasilla since '81. Folks are welcome to camp at our place and work on their bikes in our shop (no charge). Always fun meeting travelers. Lots of interesting stories.

We do the Alcan every year.....go to AZ in November and head home in March in our pickup camper/enclosed trailer. Love the Alcan in the off season.....not much traffic.

(Threadstarter)

Wheeldag, yes the off season is more peaceful on the Alcan. We have driven it a few times in the winter at -30 to -40 and its a little different... no bugs

I will be taking off again about the 4th of July and heading to Michigan to see family. I had planned on taking off 2-3 days after I got back on the 9th but I got a darn bee sting and it seems to have caused my allergy's to kick in..... no fun getting old!