Thread: 15 % Gas

15 % Gas

I was perusing through the ’08 owner’s manual and found this: “You may use gasoline containing up to 15 % MTBE by volume”.

Isn’t this the witches brew from hell that’s supposed destroy the innards of our beloved rides.

A couple of years ago I saw 15 % at gas stations in the mid-west. It was significantly cheaper.

Is anybody using this stuff full time? Impressions?

Fill
    ’94 GL 1500 SE Extras: SIRUS Satellite Radio, Garmin GPS, SADDLEMAN Road Sofa and Touring Luggage, Touring Floodlights, Multiple Deer Whistles.
    Pulling an ’80 Eagle 1 Trailer or ’12 Roll A Home (wide bed, brakes)
    GWRRA / IBMC / TT / KOA

And now a 2008 GL 1800 that’s just starting to get formally dressed.

Re: 15 % Gas

Not to confuse MTBE with ethanol, which I think is it's more environmentally friendly replacement...

15% ethanol is usually considered a no no in motorcycles.
    I won't touch the stuff unless I really have to. 10% ethanol is usually OK, but I'll always pay up and put the regular gas in my bike if it's available.
    I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.

E85? Traded my 08 Dodge Pick Up that burned E85 did not find it very often.

I once blamed ethanol for bluing the pipes on my 98 Zuki Intruder. LOL

Buttset from Mo.

Actually, a sort-of related question.

Over the last several years when I traveled the plains states, I've noticed that 15% ethanol mix was becoming a little less common, the usual 10% always available along with the option of regular non-ethanol gas. Maybe people were avoiding it? Dunno.

But...has anyone noticed that the high-ethanol gas gives them less MPG? My old Honda VLX would regularly get well over 125 miles per tank without fail (probably more - I never pushed the limit) all year round. Twice over recent years when gassing up with a higher ethanol mix (not by choice) in the midwest, once I had to switch over to the reserve at 113 miles, and another time after 93 miles. A very small sample, I know, but I'm curious.

Is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by menhir View Post
    Actually, a sort-of related question.

Over the last several years when I traveled the plains states, I've noticed that 15% ethanol mix was becoming a little less common, the usual 10% always available along with the option of regular non-ethanol gas. Maybe people were avoiding it? Dunno.

But...has anyone noticed that the high-ethanol gas gives them less MPG? My old Honda VLX would regularly get well over 125 miles per tank without fail (probably more - I never pushed the limit) all year round. Twice over recent years when gassing up with a higher ethanol mix (not by choice) in the midwest, once I had to switch over to the reserve at 113 miles, and another time after 93 miles. A very small sample, I know, but I'm curious.

Is it just me?
    It's not just you, as a test driver for Ford Motor, our testing showed a 8% reduction in MPG with a 10% ethanol mix. But it does produce less dirty exhaust, but not as clean as compressed natural gas.
    Lloyd and Judy in Columbiaville, MI.
    2013 Ural Patrol
    2012 Burgman 400
    We tent camp

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Here in KY I have noticed that on most pumps it states "May contain up to 10% Ethanol", so I'm guessing it all does. Luckily a couple of stations here locally offers Ethanol free gas. It used to be considerably higher, but the price has come down to just about the price of normal "Premium" unleaded.
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

MTBE is not Ethanol. I am pretty sure you mean Ethanol. MTBE is a chemical that has to be used in counties that have smog. For us in the Wisconsin, it is April to October only and only in Milwaukee Co and a couple counties next to it. I often get gas just before getting home so I can get gas without the additives in it. MTBE and Ethanol both reduce gas mileage. That is why it's cheaper. A decent electronic ignition engine will compensate for Ethanol most of the time and always for MTBE. MTBE is supposed to be safe for all engines. Ethanol over 10% is a bit harsh on rubber tubing. That is the biggest risk. Over time it will damage the fuel lines.

You get what you pay for! Lower gas mileage, but cheaper gas.
    -- Jeff
    2014 H-D Limited
    2005 H-D Dyna Trike
    2008 Roll-A-Home Camper