Thread: Semi Retirement...

Semi Retirement...

So after reading about those that have retired...I have decided to "semi-retire"! That is I had asked the company I currently work for to allow me to reduce my work week to a 3 day week or go part time. I was a bit disappointed when the answer came back.."No!" This sort of surprised me, but then again it really didn't. Recently the company decided to release all part time night shift people. So my choices were to stay at a 40 hr, 5 day a week job, with some night work and being on-call for a 7 day period every 2 months. Not really a stressful job...but I wanted to go with lesser hours. So earlier this I handed in my resignation effective July 31. Will most likely take the remaining summer off and look for a part time job for the colder months. Looking forward to much more camping in Aug & Sept..maybe even a couple road trips.
    2008 GL1800-HPNA with 30,000+ miles
    1988 BunkHouse camper
    Darkside #1720

Re: Semi Retirement...

I AM “SEMI-RETIRED” TOO, SORT OF.
    Scheduled part time for 60 hours every two weeks. BUT thanks to 12 hour shifts that’s only 10 shifts a month. In the middle of every month I have scheduled 10 consecutive days off +. Very nice, especially in the non – winter months.

Fill
    ’94 GL 1500 SE Extras: SIRUS Satellite Radio, Garmin GPS, SADDLEMAN Road Sofa and Touring Luggage, Touring Floodlights, Multiple Deer Whistles.
    Pulling an ’80 Eagle 1 Trailer or ’12 Roll A Home (wide bed, brakes)
    GWRRA / IBMC / TT / KOA

And now a 2008 GL 1800 that’s just starting to get formally dressed.

Quote Originally Posted by wingpilot08 View Post
    So after reading about those that have retired...I have decided to "semi-retire"! That is I had asked the company I currently work for to allow me to reduce my work week to a 3 day week or go part time. I was a bit disappointed when the answer came back.."No!" This sort of surprised me, but then again it really didn't. Recently the company decided to release all part time night shift people. So my choices were to stay at a 40 hr, 5 day a week job, with some night work and being on-call for a 7 day period every 2 months. Not really a stressful job...but I wanted to go with lesser hours. So earlier this I handed in my resignation effective July 31. Will most likely take the remaining summer off and look for a part time job for the colder months. Looking forward to much more camping in Aug & Sept..maybe even a couple road trips.
    Well...semi-congratulations on your retirement. Hope you can take some extended trips now.
    Time to relax and enjoy all that you’ve worked hard for.

June 1st will complete our first year of retirement. It’s been terrific. However it seems my wife’s
    memory improved over the last year. She remembers all the “Honey Do” items I have yet to complete.

Jeff
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

Retirement I highly recommend it.

Buttset from Mo.

Congrads, retirement is nice!
    As noted the honey do list keeps growing but after three years of me not getting it all done she is still happy. It will be three years since I retired in June and I have managed to spend 5.5 months on the road
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

As it stands now I'm done the first of November NEXT year. Another guy there and I decided to hang it up at the same time. He turns 62, I'll be 64. Might have to try some part time work for gas money...
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

HarleyJack

this was gonna be my year for my second retirement , bu I decided to hold off a few more years , my problem is , I have to be doing something ...
    2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra

I've said the same thing for the last 7 years. Finally retired last Sat.

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Congrats to all that have or are going to retire soon! I absolutely love being retired! The trick to those Honey Do lists is a large tip Sharpie marker, after time goes on you can occasionally mark one of the list whether you have done it or not and they will have forgotten what they had put on there!
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

I have been blessed that I've been able to make a living at my hobby for the last 19 years.
    I'm retiring in October.

No semi-retirement until then, though...It looks like I'll be just as busy as I have been up until the last minute.

I expect to spend the first full month sitting sitting on my butt and enjoying it. Beer may happen.
    But I'm sure I'll find something else to do after that to keep me happy and out of trouble.
    I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.