Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS sale, best price I've seen on any Zumo....

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

GPS sale, best price I've seen on any Zumo....

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-z...GPS-P5565.aspx

I just ordered this, my old Nuvi 550 gave up the ghost after probably being accidentally turned on and the wife's treasures crammed on top of it in the truck seat. It won't acquire satellites after an hour of trying and it seems to be frozen up at my wife's friend's home location! I'm blaming her!

I called and the gentleman I talked to told me in all the years he had worked there, he had never saw a Zumo on sale at this price, $279.00 was the lowest he'd seen years ago. They are having a 21st Anniversary Super Sale...
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

HarleyJack

Re: GPS sale, best price I've seen on any Zumo....

my roadtech zumo 550 has been rebuilt twice fairly cheep , trying to think of the name of the place gimme a second here

www.palmdr.com
    2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra

#%@*, it's raining again!
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by JacktheBagger View Post
    my roadtech zumo 550 has been rebuilt twice fairly cheep , trying to think of the name of the place gimme a second here

www.palmdr.com
    Too late, I ordered it before I posted Jack! Mine was the Nuvi instead of the Zumo, it was actually an automotive gps that just happened to be waterproof for some reason. I don't think I could update it without expanding the memory with a micro sd card, as I would lose a lot if coverage if I didn't. Plus I would have to pay for the update, so I'm probably money ahead.

HarleyJack

he does nuvi as well , oh well , my roadtech I have to use the sd card for all the us and canada

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by JacktheBagger View Post
    he does nuvi as well , oh well , my roadtech I have to use the sd card for all the us and canada
    Thanks for the info buddy, I'll have that in case someone I know needs it! The wife has a TomTom that needs to be updated and has a few glitches in it, I might see if they can update it.

Hey Steve. I've never used anything but Google maps on my cell phone. So I have a few questions.
    1) Dose it cost to update maps? How often do you need to do this? Googles is automatic don't need to even think about it.
    2) Does it need cell service to connect to GPS? My cell phone does unless I save a mapped route for offline use.

HarleyJack

you used to pay for lifetime updates for each unit , i do mine whenever i think about it , one of them hasnt been done in a couple years .. garmin usually has a couple updates each year ..

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
    Hey Steve. I've never used anything but Google maps on my cell phone. So I have a few questions.
    1) Dose it cost to update maps? How often do you need to do this? Googles is automatic don't need to even think about it.
    2) Does it need cell service to connect to GPS? My cell phone does unless I save a mapped route for offline use.
    Rob, 1). map updates are free with this model, and I'm not sure about all the tech goodies on it, but you can take it anywhere there is wi-fi and update it on the unit itself. You don't have to hook it up to a computer if I'm reading correctly. My older Nuvi 550 was a waterproof unit, but not necessarily a motorcycle unit like the Zumo, it's maps are old, I bought it in 2008. Before it died it still worked but it did get confused in situations like where a bypass has been put in. It would eventually find itself, but it's a bit unnerving if you are driving in city traffic and some of the streets have been re-routed over time. I had never updated this unit as the new update is larger than my units memory, so I would have had to add a micro sd card if possible to get all the updated maps I currently have. Newer models seem to have way more memory than my old Nuvi. For my use I would probably update it every five years or so, but as easy as it seems to be you could do it more often.

2). That's the beauty of the GPS, you don't need cell service, just a fairly clear view of the sky. That's one reason why I prefer a GPS over a cell phone for navigating, a lot of the places I go don't have cell phone coverage, or with AT&T it could be sketchy at best. If my old unit hadn't laid down I was going to try to use it for the big roads that haven't or don't often change, and then use my cell phone in city areas that have great cell signal.

I will be surprised if I use more than 10% of the features on this unit, but at this sale price it actually cost less than the Nuvi 550 I bought 11 years ago. It's $249.95 on sale, and it's $399.95 retail at most places, I just couldn't pass that up! I was looking at buying a cheaper car unit, and then buying a Ram waterproof box to put it in, and all the mounting bits for the box after I found out the Nuvi was done. My frugal wife is even happy with this purchase!

Ya'll a bunch of enablers.
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

That's a great price on a Zumo.

Rob, You will find on your travels when you don't have cell service you will not have google maps. I use an Android phone and they all have GPS built in. I have tried google maps offline version but the amount of map coverage seemed to be limited to only 100 or so miles then your off the edge of the map. I have tried some other off line map apps and have found one that I am going to use on this years ride down the Alcan. It's called "Offline Maps and Navigation" and I was able to download all of the states and provinces that I expect to ride across. I think this one should work for my purposes. It's just a toy for me to play with as I have a Zumo 395 and the built in GPS on my Wing.
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1800 & GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870