Thread: Nothing is easy when you get older....

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Nothing is easy when you get older....

I went in for what I thought was going to be a simple outpatient surgery on Thursday, and it turned out to be a bit more that what we thought. For the last few years my doctor has been monitoring a Goiter that had attached to my Thyroid, he wanted to remove it back in 2015 but I had already planned my Alaska trip so I put it off as I was having no issues at the time. Back in March I decided I was having too many issues swallowing, especially large pills. I go see him, we schedule up the surgery and off we go. He had to remove the Goiter in two sections, and each section was the size of a Baseball! He had to remove my Thyroid but was able to leave the two Parathyroid glands and embed them back in the muscle. The first section came back from labs with no cancer, and they are thinking the second should be the same. So far so good, but I feel like I have a major crick in my neck that extends down into my shoulders and up the back of my head. All common I guess for cutting and pulling and tugging two baseballs out though the cut in my neck. My doctor knows me well, when he came in he told me, "Okay Steve, the bad news first, you can't ride for two or three weeks, and you will have to take another pill for the rest of your life...." Great, I already take more pills than Elvis did... Hopefully I will be back to riding after my next visit, I'm riding to the Chill Out regardless, so he might as well tell me I can ride!

I wanted to share this in hopes that if anyone is putting off having anything done, please don't be like me and just go on and do it. I know we often think at times that we are bulletproof and just think "I can deal with it" when in reality we are probably making it worse. As Danceswithmountains said, "Getting old ain't for sissies!"
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Re: Nothing is easy when you get older....

Hoping you get back to good health real quick.

Missing the riding season sucks! Been there and done that.... two years of chemo and could only ride for a couple days a month just before the next round of chemo.
    Yup, most of us are at an age where things we have been ignoring are getting worse and going to kick our butts or worse.

Get in to your doctors and take care of these things early.
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1800 & GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

Get better!
    2012 Limited Harley Davidson +09 Aspen classic
    ( WIFE MADE ME BUY THEM BOTH)
    The only time you can have too much fuel.............is if your on fire!

#%@*, it's raining again!
    (Threadstarter)

Thanks guys, getting better everyday!

Just get well.

#%@*, it's raining again!
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by snowclem View Post
    Just get well.
    Working on it!