Thread: Android\IOS Tablets as a GPS

Android\IOS Tablets as a GPS

I’ve read here and elsewhere about apps to use tablets & smartphones as a GPS, but very little on devices that have a thermal tolerance to direct sunlight.

All the iPads & iPhones seem to have an operating temperature range between 32-95 degrees and die for 15min when triggered.

Does anyone know of a android device and has a built in GPS receiver, simi-rugged, with a higher thermal threshold that is “commonly” used in marine or motorcycle environments?
    DaveJ
    '95 R1100RSL
    '90 R100GSPD

Re: Android\IOS Tablets as a GPS

I use my iPhone for my GPS mounted on an open clamping system attached to my left rear view mirror. It works with my Bluetooth intercom system for directions.

Since its out in the slipstream I haven't had a problem with it overheating.

I used to use an enclosed vinyl case with an old Garmin GPS and it did get pretty warm without ventilation. I didn't use that configuration long since I had to look at the GPS to see directions but it never quit working.
    Bill & Sharon - 2007 Triumph Tiger

I have been using my Samsung Galaxy S8 active phone on the handlebars for 3 years. They do have a built in gps, they do work with offline map programs. Mine is in a pelican hard case. I keep it plugged in. It worked fine but it has not been my primary navigation tool. I have both my built in GPS plus a Garmin Zumo
    GL1800 & KLR650 Mine 2009 Rollahome
    GL1800 & GL1500 & XR650L Hers
    IBA #66870

Likewise, I've been using a Samsung S7, for several years on my handlebars with a quick-release RAM mount, and I used another phone even before that. No problem with overheating. I recall having a phone shut off when left in a very hot car, but it's never happened on the motorcycle. I guess it cools enough while moving, and since I take it with me when I get off the bike (a good practice) it's never been exposed to direct sunlight while stationary for any period long enough to cause any problems.

The windshield keeps it dry enough in a light rain at speed, but I still stick it in the tank bag if the rain gets too heavy.

I originally started using an android phone as a backup GPS, but it's now my current go-to GPS for everyday use just out of sheer convenience. Having said that, I always consider my Garmin dedicated GPS a better choice for road trips because it's more rugged, waterproof, and glove-sensitive, among other reasons.

If you already have a phone, and you probably do...try it out first. If I does the job you want, you're good to go. Experiment with different GPS apps. I ended up preferring CoPilot GPS for my purposes...free to try, inexpensive to buy. All the maps are stored on my phone so I'm not relying on cellular coverage.

The biggest drawback to Co-Pilot is it's infernal executive choice to switch from Google to Yelp as it's default search engine. I've found that Yelp has an almost spectacularly unparalleled ability to not find anything. It's really, really that bad. Otherwise, the app itself is pretty easy to learn. I'm hoping the developers come back to their senses and change back to Google.

So ya know. CoPilot makes mistakes sometimes. Garmin does, too. It's a wash. That's why I use both a phone and a dedicated GPS on road trips.
    I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.

My Galaxay Note 8 has not shut down due to heat but it has shut down due to being too cold. One trip we started out in 12 degree F and and hour into ride the phone shut off. Had to put it in my pocket under my heated gear to warm it back up. I just use google maps for directions.