Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunts lodge

Hunts lodge

Hi everyone

A friend of mine told me that this place is "rustic" when I invited him to meet us for the Cherohala chill out. He has been there. I don't think he's coming. He prides himself as a guest couch surfer.

I like rustic. I can be out for a week or so and love it. Cycle More is fine with me.

Could someone who has been to both Hunts and Cycle More in Michigan campgrounds please give me a comparison of the two. Basically reasonably clean and safe from extreams? How are the cabins ?

I plan to be there, hopefully on a restored 40 yearold BMW and the minimate behind.

Thank you for the input.
    John
    KISS

Re: Hunts lodge

I've been to both, Hunts Lodge is WAY nicer.

Cycle More, if you've been there recently is really starting to show its age and neglect.

Hunt's Lodge is actively maintained and supported. Their owners are on site, every day (though I dont believe they live there) and it's very nice. The cabins at HL are very basic, they have a couple of beds, a roof, and an AC unit, that's basically it. Can't beat it for 55 bucks a night though.

I've written reviews on both here on the site, but if you like Cycle More, Hunt's Lodge will blow you away. I will say though, I think CM is bigger overall, but HL is way cleaner/better/nicer.
    Last edited by Derick; 05-03-2019 at 02:11 PM.
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

I have also been to both and would say HL is a small step up from CM. Both are a bit older, both have clean bathrooms with lots of hot water, both have a big covered meeting/eating area, the owners for both are good people who will give you the shirt off their backs. The differences are slight. HL has nice rustic cabins CM does not, CM is ice cream which HL does not. I would stay at either again with no second thoughts.
    Deb

2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

I've been to both also. Personally I like Hunt's better. At CM there are some "long term " campers there and that makes it feel more like a trailer park than a camp ground. When people stay in one place more than a week at a time it dosen't stay "picked up". JMHO. I also like the layout better at Hunt's with the tiered hillside campsites. This year with self contained electric, solar and batteries, I plan on staying up on the hill.

I would agree with what others have said. I've been to both several times. Haven't been to CM in a couple years so not sure if any updating has been done. CM being much older (30+yrs) has been showing its age for a long time. we stop there whenever we go up to UP of MI which is usually once year however last trip to UP was thru WI. I'm guessing Hunts is around 15 yrs old so everything is much newer than CM. CM is larger than Hunts thus more $ for upkeep, maint,, etc.

FYI Hunts last year expanded their electric up the hill, not sure what they have done for this year. If I recall Jack retired from his regular job last year so has more time for maint. etc.
    Meach and Maggie
    05 vtx1300
    07 RS Venture (RIP 2016)
    09 DL 650 VSTROM

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Thanks everyone.
    I appreciate your comparison.
    I'm looking forward to the event.
    John

One thing to keep in mind about Cycle Moore is that both Steve & Shirley are still making their livelihoods by running the campground the store, and the shop every day ... and both of those fine folks are are pushing 80 years of age.
    Maybe the campground isn’t as prime as it once was in years past, but you have to give them credit, they are still catering mainly to bikers and doing what they can to make your stay enjoyable.
    I cannot fault them for slowing down, they have been in the campground business for nearly 50 years ... How many other campground owners can make that claim?

G

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

It's still a fun place too!
    2012 Limited Harley Davidson +09 Aspen classic
    ( WIFE MADE ME BUY THEM BOTH)
    The only time you can have too much fuel.............is if your on fire!

Oceanside CA, and Milford NH and lots in between

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    One thing to keep in mind about Cycle Moore is that both Steve & Shirley are still making their livelihoods by running the campground the store, and the shop every day ... and both of those fine folks are are pushing 80 years of age.
    Maybe the campground isn’t as prime as it once was in years past, but you have to give them credit, they are still catering mainly to bikers and doing what they can to make your stay enjoyable.
    I cannot fault them for slowing down, they have been in the campground business for nearly 50 years ... How many other campground owners can make that claim?

G
    I have to agree, yes Steve and Shirley are great peeps. I'll probably swing through on my way east in a month to stay and say howdy to them.
    Stu.
    2008 GL1800 Level 4
    1988 KampARoo pop up tent trailer
    Previously 2007 & 2008 Aspen Sentry

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

I’ve been to both and they are both nice just different. CM is all one level where Hunt’s is tiered. Great folks at both places. I can’t remember if CM has laundry but Hunt’s did the last time I was there. Hunt’s also has boot driers in the cabins which is nice if you get caught in the rain on the way there.
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster