Thread: Minnesota to NC and back

Minnesota to NC and back

Looking for route ideas from Central MN to Durham NC (see my daughter) then head north on a route back to MN.

Any ideas would be great!

Thank you in advance.

Matt
    Monticello Mn

Re: Minnesota to NC and back

Don't go now, it is still snowing up North! Just kidding...but if you are a Harley admirer, go through Maggie Valley NC and stop in the wheels through time mc museum. One way to get there is through Tellico Plains Tn. Just good riding all around. Are you camping? If so, the land between the lakes is nice, and Hunts Lodge in tellco plains is great. And wave to my sister in Raliegh/Durham.

Quote Originally Posted by kerryb View Post
    Don't go now, it is still snowing up North! Just kidding...but if you are a Harley admirer, go through Maggie Valley NC and stop in the wheels through time mc museum. One way to get there is through Tellico Plains Tn. Just good riding all around. Are you camping? If so, the land between the lakes is nice, and Hunts Lodge in tellco plains is great. And wave to my sister in Raliegh/Durham.
    How about from NC to NY? i was thinking about going home that way....I teach school so i have a little time on my hands

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonpride View Post
    How about from NC to NY? i was thinking about going home that way....I teach school so i have a little time on my hands
    Take the Blue Ridge Parkway up to the end (Waynesboro) then US 250 over to US 219 and follow that up into NY.
    If you're looking to hit eastern NY, then cut off along US 6 in PA and follow that over to 15, or 14 and head up to the Finger Lakes and/or the Dacks
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonpride View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Take the Blue Ridge Parkway up to the end (Waynesboro) then US 250 over to US 219 and follow that up into NY.
    If you're looking to hit eastern NY, then cut off along US 6 in PA and follow that over to 15, or 14 and head up to the Finger Lakes and/or the Dacks
    With limited time to ride, is BRP really a good choice due to the speed limits of the BRP??
    2008 GL1800-HPNA with 55,000+ miles
    1995 BunkHouse camper
    Darkside #1720

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

With no stop signs, cities/towns to drive through, not much traffic, an interesting/fairly scenic road to ride and a 45 mph speed limit (I always do 50 mph with no issues), I consider it to be an excellent choice! The Skyline Pkwy through Shenandoah National Park - NO!

Quote Originally Posted by bisonpride View Post
    looking for route ideas from central mn to durham nc (see my daughter) then head north on a route back to mn.

Any ideas would be great!

Thank you in advance.

Matt
    monticello mn
    hey, i know this guy!
    2012 Limited Harley Davidson +09 Aspen classic
    ( WIFE MADE ME BUY THEM BOTH)
    The only time you can have too much fuel.............is if your on fire!

Quote Originally Posted by dan1551 View Post
    hey, i know this guy!
    Hey Buddy...Small world

A tad out of the way but go up to Duluth and pick up US 2 and follow it east across UP of MI. and come down thru NF of western MI like MI 37. Good roads thru a lot of NF Can then cut back east thru PA or head on south thru WV, VA, etc. Numerous ways to go. Depends of you are camping, want to avoid interstate, etc.

If camping, once you have a general route picked out post it maybe get some tips on places to camp.

Another idea is to check the events sections and match your schedule to hit up some of the campouts along the way like the chillout in TN (June 20-23), There are a couple iin PA, etc.
    Meach and Maggie
    05 vtx1300
    07 RS Venture (RIP 2016)
    09 DL 650 VSTROM

Quote Originally Posted by Meach View Post
    A tad out of the way but go up to Duluth and pick up US 2 and follow it east across UP of MI. and come down thru NF of western MI like MI 37. Good roads thru a lot of NF Can then cut back east thru PA or head on south thru WV, VA, etc. Numerous ways to go. Depends of you are camping, want to avoid interstate, etc.

If camping, once you have a general route picked out post it maybe get some tips on places to camp.

Another idea is to check the events sections and match your schedule to hit up some of the campouts along the way like the chillout in TN (June 20-23), There are a couple iin PA, etc.
    I like the suggestion, Thank you very much!