Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Away for awhile but back again.

Re: Away for awhile but back again.

Just my 2 worth from years of touring and camping. I think a step through scooter style two-wheel conveyance is just too light of a machine for road touring, and I would never opt to pull a trailer of any kind behind it.
    For a good road worthy long distance road warrior, a fully equipped motorcycle with a rigid frame but fully isolated drive train will provide maximum comfort, and a suitable platform for pulling a trailer suitable for camping in. If you are retiring and of sufficient age that comfort over a tent and sleeping bag is in your budget, then a camper trailer would be just the thing. Quality trailers for this purpose is available from only a handful of manufactures, and would be suitable for the task. Do your research carefully and don't settle for 2nd best, but affordable.
    Definitely first-things-first, and get a larger, suitable trailer pulling vehicle.
    Good luck, sir!!!!!
    2009 H-D Road Glide, '11 Bushtec Turbo II, '13 Aspen Sentry

Can we get there from here???

Quote Originally Posted by kerryb View Post
    I missed out on a minmate last week... so today I bought a 1960 apache chief...200lbs! All aluminum and canvas, no fiberglass in sight. This should be a trip! So much for the expanding teardrop for this year.
    Have you actually weighed the apache? The sales brochure shows 340lbs. B.

https://lutherfish.files.wordpress.c...che-chief1.jpg
    2008 GL1800
    CSC Escapade Elite cargo trailer
    Kwik Kamp camper trailer

They don't come much lighter than that Mini Mate two threads down on this board. jmo.

Quote Originally Posted by msrvpeig View Post
    They don't come much lighter than that Mini Mate two threads down on this board. jmo.
    Well it sure didn't feel that heavy when I picked up one end of it, but you may be correct. Maybe my wheaties had gone into overdrive. Be that as it may, a deposit is paid, plans are afoot, and when you see it set up next to my bike I'll know what the true weight is.

Kerry: Here is a website that has a pic of your camper. And it says all aluminum and 200 lbs..

http://www.popupcamperhistory.com/ap...1960scout.html

Jim

Site Supporter

Trike or wing should tow scout easily Kerry. Bringing it to Loleta this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    By the time you get it loaded up you will be 350 lbs. After about 30 minutes on the road, you will not even notice that it is there. Just need additional space for passing and stopping.

--
    Gordon
    I've heard this too many times, some times you don't have that time or space... Some one or something pulls out in front of you and you have to stop NOW!
    2019 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
    I've heard this too many times, some times you don't have that time or space... Some one or something pulls out in front of you and you have to stop NOW!
    This is why Wilma is getting new disc brakes from the front of a karman ghia. And...tonight I learned a friend has an apache axle with electric brakes on it. I may have the best set-up for me after all!
    Yes, FarmerD, looking forward to loleta this year. Time will tell which bike comes with me. Still pondering a hitch for the softail. But if it's going to be cold and wet again then the wing will be my smartest choice.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by fragmentum View Post
    Just my 2 worth from years of touring and camping. I think a step through scooter style two-wheel conveyance is just too light of a machine for road touring, and I would never opt to pull a trailer of any kind behind it.
    For a good road worthy long distance road warrior, a fully equipped motorcycle with a rigid frame but fully isolated drive train will provide maximum comfort, and a suitable platform for pulling a trailer suitable for camping in. If you are retiring and of sufficient age that comfort over a tent and sleeping bag is in your budget, then a camper trailer would be just the thing. Quality trailers for this purpose is available from only a handful of manufactures, and would be suitable for the task. Do your research carefully and don't settle for 2nd best, but affordable.
    Definitely first-things-first, and get a larger, suitable trailer pulling vehicle.
    Good luck, sir!!!!!
    Well I did ask....
    I appreciate the responses to my question. I have pulled a trailer with a motorcycle but it was years ago before it was cool. I have pulled bigger trailers for decades with a lot bigger vehicles so I do understand the concept of dragging a wagon. I also did mention that I was looking for a light weight camper if there is such a thing. Or at the very least as light as possible for use behind my bike which weighs in excess of 630 lbs before I load it with me and my stuff. Now I find out that I need a real motorcycle to do any serious touring or travel on. Who knew?? I wish I had known that before I put 25K miles in my first year doing touring and traveling. Who knew it had a flexible frame? As far as the isolated drive train goes, what should it be isolated from? Not sure where you think the engine might be found on it but I am pretty sure it is more like yours than you expect. I also appreciate the concern for my budget. Funny but that is not even on the list for consideration. As far as getting larger or more suitable vehicle goes, I gave my HD to my son a few years ago. I have an antique Honda GW that I keep for sentimental reasons. I traded my Moto Guzzi in on my Burgman because I am tired of heavier bikes. I've taken it to many states and have had more fun on it than I have on any other bike in years. It has enough HP to pull a smaller trailer using prudence and good judgment. I have mine on a car tire which I am sure will cause the planets to go out of sync or something but it does give it a good foot print in the rear. Three disc brakes is probably enough in most instances. All that aside, I did ask for opinions and did get some. Some seems right and some not so much but it was me that asked. I appreciate all of the replies while respectfully reserving the right to not implement those that do not fit my plans. I'll keep looking and find something that will work with my bike. I don't intend to tow fast but just steadily. Hence the Burgman. I appreciate the well wishes Mr. Fragmentum. You live in an area I have only ridden through once a few years ago. I hope to make it back there one day soon when I decide to retire from the corporate world. Ride safe there my friend.

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
    I retired with 22 years as a full time member of the ARNG aviation community. It was a great career that I will be eternally grateful for and glad it is over. We did our deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan and got the T-shirts. I moved to the corporate world immediately following and have enjoyed it immensely but hoping to retire within a year to pursue something on my time.

Thanks for the message Robert. I will look up the info on the CO. I've thought about the cargo trailer and a decent tent but my first plan is for a camper trailer that I can pull with a smaller bike but if that doesn't work out, a cargo trailer and tent are next in line. I've seen a few guys pulling trailers with Burgmans so I am pretty confident they are powerful enough but I am still trying to go light when traveling. I'll have to look up Groundhog to see if he still is on here.
    Awesome stuff all the retiring and this who served Yes many T-shirts for sure thanks to all

2017 HD Tri Glide/ 2010 Timeout
    www.mrclean28.smugmug.com
    U.S. Army Retired