Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Away for awhile but back again.

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

Re: Away for awhile but back again.

Quote Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post
    Yep, kinda in line with what I am thinking. As much as I want to make it a lightweight trailer, I much prefer the idea of not sleeping on the ground in a tent. I retired from the Army many years ago and went to the corporate world from which I hope to retire from one day soon.
    That makes two of us as I retire 20 years ago after 21 years active army, now retiring federal job.

2017 HD Tri Glide/ 2010 Timeout
    www.mrclean28.smugmug.com
    U.S. Army Retired

Check out the Mini Mate campers, they seem to be popular.
    2010 GL1800 Endeavor Reverse Trike, Leesure Lite Excel camper.

Hi from SW Mich. There is another on here that rides a Burgman and he pulls a cargo trailer with a double tripod stand hammock tent I think his handle is Groundhog. That might be an option for you to get off the ground but stay packed light. Wife (Deb) and I will also be at the Chill Out. Hope to meet with you there or at another CO soon.
    Robert

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean28h View Post
    That makes two of us as I retire 20 years ago after 21 years active army, now retiring federal job.
    I retired with 22 years as a full time member of the ARNG aviation community. It was a great career that I will be eternally grateful for and glad it is over. We did our deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan and got the T-shirts. I moved to the corporate world immediately following and have enjoyed it immensely but hoping to retire within a year to pursue something on my time.
    Quote Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
    Hi from SW Mich. There is another on here that rides a Burgman and he pulls a cargo trailer with a double tripod stand hammock tent I think his handle is Groundhog. That might be an option for you to get off the ground but stay packed light. Wife (Deb) and I will also be at the Chill Out. Hope to meet with you there or at another CO soon.
    Robert
    Thanks for the message Robert. I will look up the info on the CO. I've thought about the cargo trailer and a decent tent but my first plan is for a camper trailer that I can pull with a smaller bike but if that doesn't work out, a cargo trailer and tent are next in line. I've seen a few guys pulling trailers with Burgmans so I am pretty confident they are powerful enough but I am still trying to go light when traveling. I'll have to look up Groundhog to see if he still is on here.

Yea, I travel light when I camp...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0132.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	561.2 KB 
ID:	22937Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0135.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	509.1 KB 
ID:	22938
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

I agree with your desire to have off the groung sleeping. Currently I'm pulling a 220lb (packed) cargo trailer with a vintage (1100cc) goldwing. I'm off the ground on a cot, in a tent with stand up height, but setting up or tearing down in the rain is a big pain! I want to move up to a tent trailer too, but the thought of stopping a 350 -400lb trailer makes me wince. A mini-mate at 265 lbs might be be a doable option, if they really do only weigh 265 empty. Still trying to persue the build -my-own superlight but time hasn't permitted yet. Good luck in your quest.

p.s. my first lightweight trailer can be seen here: http://www.motocampers.com/forums/sh...e-Race-to-Sept

Or here for more detail: https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/v...=11359#p175857

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by GroundHog View Post
    Yea, I travel light when I camp...
    Nice looking set up you have sir. The Burgman looks good hooked up like that. I may end doing that too but still considering a camping trailer or maybe just hoping for one to come along first. The cargo trailer does give enough room to carry a decent tent and cot so it is not out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by kerryb View Post
    I agree with your desire to have off the ground sleeping. Currently I'm pulling a 220lb (packed) cargo trailer with a vintage (1100cc) goldwing. I'm off the ground on a cot, in a tent with stand up height, but setting up or tearing down in the rain is a big pain! I want to move up to a tent trailer too, but the thought of stopping a 350 -400lb trailer makes me wince. A mini-mate at 265 lbs might be be a doable option, if they really do only weigh 265 empty. Still trying to persue the build -my-own superlight but time hasn't permitted yet. Good luck in your quest.

p.s. my first lightweight trailer can be seen here: http://www.motocampers.com/forums/sh...e-Race-to-Sept

Or here for more detail: https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/v...=11359#p175857
    Nice looking trailer you built sir. I would consider one those for sure. I'm away on a work assignment for the present time but when I am at home with a garage, I could see the possibilities. I'm not opposed to a cargo trailer just trying to stay off the ground and have a little quicker set up time than I would with a tent. I also have an 1100 GW. Mine is an 81 vintage I think. After seeing all of the newer bikes being built today, for the most part I prefer the older bikes. Particularly when it comes to the old GWs.
    Last edited by blacktruck; 04-15-2019 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Added a line.

Quote Originally Posted by kerryb View Post
    I want to move up to a tent trailer too, but the thought of stopping a 350 -400lb trailer makes me wince. A mini-mate at 265 lbs might be be a doable option, if they really do only weigh 265 empty.
    Put brakes on the minimate...
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
    I missed out on a minmate last week... so today I bought a 1960 apache chief...200lbs! All aluminum and canvas, no fiberglass in sight. This should be a trip! So much for the expanding teardrop for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
    By the time you get it loaded up you will be 350 lbs. After about 30 minutes on the road, you will not even notice that it is there. Just need additional space for passing and stopping.

--
    Gordon