Thread: Update on heated gear?

Update on heated gear?

I noticed the discussion about heated gear was 2012 and older. Has technology changed? I am 68 and newly married. My wife road years ago and Was not interested before I came along , I am trying to get her interested in riding with me and camping in my Time Out Deluxe. I want to get her heated gear to make her as comfortable as possible. I always believed Gerbing was as good as it gets but have been checking out HDís new one touch shoulder to toe set up. Her comfort is more important than money but I canít afford to waists money or I would not be riding an 06 Electaglide with 70,000 miles. Can you folks give me some advice? Hope to meet some of you face to face at the Chill Out!

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Re: Update on heated gear?

I don’t have heated gear but I’m looking at it myself. Here is the link to the latest update on the Gerbing gear under it’s latest name.

https://gordonsheated.com/

It looks like the family founder has passed away...
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Deb and I use Gerbing. It makes all the difference in the world. I ride all year here in SW MI as long as no more than 1 inch of snow. We carry the jacket liner all year. If it drops below 50 it goes between our jackets and shirts. We have the bluetooh controllers. They offer better control. just like setting the thermostat at home. Also a set of Frogg Togs if for nothing eles to stop all wind penetration. anything below 40 and they go over jackets. I am actually warmer in the winter on the bike than in a cold car. Gerbing heats up in seconds while the car takes miles and miles to warm up.

Yeah be careful on the Gerbing stuff, you need to know when it was made. Recent Gerbing stuff is all chinese made, and it's just not great. Definitely not worth the premium price point. The former employees saw the terrible quality attributed with the Gerbing name, and started their own company [again] as Gordon's. Their stuff is...a bit odd. The controllers are kinda wonky looking, but I suppose they work. The tech involved really isn't advanced. I would try the Gordon's stuff if I had the money to do so. That said, I didnt when I bought my heated gear from Cycle Gear.

Check out my review on the stuff over at BBO:
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/conten...inks-included)

I like the jacket liner, and I like the pant liners. The glove are chunky and are more "ski glove" like....so they arent very tactile. The leather gerbings that I have had for years have been soaked, stretched, dropped, and just generally abused in all weather. They are very flexible and very tactile. The cycle gear gloves are not. That said, they have the single button, 3 setting control right on the glove itself. That's great. Makes it super easy to control even with gloves on. You dont have to hunt for a controller. Just another option to consider if you want to keep your investment low due to an unknown factor here.
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

alaskajack
    (Threadstarter)

Where do you go to get it? At the price point I found you don’t want to get the wrong sizes

alaskajack
    (Threadstarter)

Thanks for the info I will be looking around

Who are you asking?

For the cycle gear stuff....cyclegear.com or they have retail stores. One may be near you. You can obviously try on there in that case.

For more online purchasing, I suggest motorcyclegear.com (formerly newenough.com). Been dealing with them for many years, and they are always top notch on service. Their return/exchange policy is no sweat.

One last thought, since youre buying for your wife, I would suggest going a size larger, and then putting cycle gear freezeout glove liners in between hand and glove. One, it's another layer of insulation, two, it helps dissipate the heat and absorb moisture. Taking off a glove with a sweaty hand, and trying to put it back on is a chore in and of itself.

alaskajack
    (Threadstarter)

Thanks Derick I am currently in W mi by Grand Rapids. I am asking anyone . I think I was on cycle gear.com earlier and looking at I think it was first gear complete set up under $800