Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back in the game with a new-to-me Time Out!

Back in the game with a new-to-me Time Out!

So I had recently been pining about missing my Time Out. I had the most fun when I had that thing, and since selling my real camper, I thought, "hey why not?"

I found a guy in fort wayne that was selling one, so I checked it out on Sunday and took my truck and flatbed trailer in hopes of bringing it home. He only had one low-res picture and I was a little underwhelmed when I got there. All the crap of "I've only used it once" was total BS. It wasn't rough exactly, but it needed my brand of TLC to bring it to my standards.

We came to an agreement on money and he showed me the title aaaaaand we had a problem. He was the 3rd owner, and at the time, I didn't fully understand who all was on the title, but I knew it wasnt in his name, period. So, I told him, hey get this fixed and I'm happy to buy it from ya. So he calls me tuesday morning and says, "Derick, we got a problem." Apparently the name printed on the title was the ORIGINAL owners name, and the name in the transferree box was the second owner (again not the guy I'm talking to). So basically 1 of two things needed to happen for a genuine title. He goes, "well, if you want to deal with this stuff, I'll make you a hell of a deal." Well never one to back down from a deal, I ask how much we're talkin. $900 and I get on the wing and ride up to fort wayne later in the day. He was from another state I guess that dealt with trailers in a lackadaisical manner, well..both he and the second owner, and they never bothered titling it.

Soooo, I have some options to consider;
    1) Contact the original owner, get the title reissued in his name, he transfers it to me...looked the guy up, he's in his 80s none of the phone numbers on the interweb work.
    2) Contact the transferree, see if he can get it titled in his name, he transfers it to me...looked the guy up, he's in his 40s in Columbus IN. I found he works at a credit union, and sent an email...no response as of yet.
    3) Buy a new mini utility trailer for 300 bucks at northern tool, unbolt the box from A > B, boom I have certificate of origin and a legitimate VIN w/ title

So I set #3 in motion. Now, maybe something will happen with the original title holders...who knows, but at the moment I just want to get out and use it.

So Tuesday evening I dropped $250 at etrailer for new tires, new tail lights, marker lights, rear light bar, proper plate holder w/ light, and probably a few things I'm forgetting. Those guys rock because yesterday afternoon all my goodies show up. Took the day off today and got to work.

Here's what I'm planning/have done;
    -Repack the bearings (done.)
    -Put on the new wheels/tires (after painting them) (done)
    -Tore out all the old lights/wiring (done)
    -Fluid film the undercarriage (done)
    -Pull all screws and soak in vinegar to cut the rust
    -Strip the tongue and repaint (surface rust) (doneish, need to do a second coat)
    -Build new wiring harness (done)
    -Install new wiring harness
    -Install new tail lights
    -Buy the cooler rack/wing thing from Time Out?
    -Strip all the reflective pin striping and stickers off the side panels
    -Have it vinyl covered to match my goldwing

That's all I can think of for now...and that's just the exterior/chassis bit of it all!

The tent needs some serious TLC, but I need a warm day and some hours to get that done. I've done that all before, but I'll need to do camp dry on it, along with seam sealant, and then defunk the mold/mildew from the canvas.

More to come but I'm so happy to have another Time Out!

Brought it home from storage (about a mile away, I didnt drive like this for any sort of distance...) to start on the work and I was cracking up laughing at the stupid high bumper hitch on my truck.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-03-15 21_16_27-Photo - Google Photos.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	22879
    Last edited by Derick; 03-15-2019 at 09:13 PM.
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Re: Back in the game with a new-to-me Time Out!

Sounds like a good deal for you. Good luck with the title stuff. I know in VA it's a pain to straighten out if the title is messed up in another state. Please let us know how you go about it. It might save one of us some time later on.
    Deb

2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Hope you can get the title straightened out without the games of swapping process.

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

Awesome I am very much aware of the feeling

2017 HD Tri Glide/ 2010 Timeout
    www.mrclean28.smugmug.com
    U.S. Army Retired

I’ve been through that kind of mess with a boat trailer before. PITA.
    Can’t wait to see the finished product at the Chill Out.

Jeff
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate

Bought an Aspen Classic from a fellow in northern Ohio, had his own computer generated Bill of Sale to me, the two of us signed it and off I went...no license or Title...and in Kentucky none was required either, as long as it was not being used for commercial purposes....When selling it to a fellow in Georgia I did the same thing, just something to show the sale and transfer....cargo trailer, boat trailer, none are tagged, but do have a Bill of Sale on the boat trailer...sure makes transfers easier.

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)

Well, I'm having some buyers remorse. Nothing I can do about it now, so I'm not fretting about it.

This time out is just a mess. I knew the tenting was a little stained when I bought it, but being warmer I set it up today to get a full sitrep of this thing. I basically bought just the frame. The floor is rotted out on about 1/3 of the floor, the carpet is a mess, and the ENTIRE tent roof is stained. It was clearly put away wet, and NEVER dried. Someone clearly didn't care about this thing in the slightest, because you just dont do that to something you value. Anyhow, 3 season carpet is cheap, and I'll have to decide on what I want to do with the plywood. Go marine, or epoxy coat the underside. Marine grade stuff is super expensive, but I dont want it rotting in just a couple of years.

I'll have to look and see if the piano hinges need to be replaced...they are a bit rusty...well everything is rusty and corroded in this thing. I took some WD40 to the tent support poles and those are functional and shiny again. I'll call time-out tomorrow to order a new tent.

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

We had mold on ours as it sat for a while. So took the canvas off and cleaned and let it dry out not worries afterwards small things to repair but still for the cost beat all and no regrets Hang in there

Having been on the same boat you're sailing I know it can get REAL frustrating at times. Make you wonder when it's time to throw in the towel some times. Sounds like you're way more patient then I am though... Good luck.
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)

I assure you, I'm not.

Fact is, if I dont fix it, I cant use it...so I gotta do what I gotta do. Tenting will be brand new, and the plywood will be replaced and brand new....so it should be good for awhile after that.