Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a mini mate type design that I can build myself.

Mostly Harmless
    (Threadstarter)

Re: Looking for a mini mate type design that I can build myself.

That is almost exactly what I'm looking for. I like your approach and use of the folding table leg. Are you planning on sitting on the bed and then swinging your legs over the wall? or will there be a little door of some sort?
    2017 Triumph Trophy SE
    Sold - 2013 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited Anniv. Ed.

I am going to put a door in the back of the trailer, between the tailights. Not sure if it is going to swing open or swing down. If swing down the door will act as a step to enter the body. Also, with the door at the back it will help eliminate water infiltration around the door seals, since the rear is usually lower air pressure than the air pressure on the front of the body, at 65MPH, plus the tongue will complicate the entry. The box is 20" high and the trailer frame is 16" from the ground, so the height of the bed is 36" high. A little too high to try to sit on and swing my legs inside. I'm too old to do that! LOL. The tent I am using is 8' x 10' , so I am going to have a small sitting area (or porch) at the back of the box, so the door can be left open.

Jim

Mostly Harmless
    (Threadstarter)

Nice. I like your ideas. Are you going to have the attached folding bows or will you have to deal with standing poles up to support the tent?

That reminds me a lot of the Roadman Campers...
    www.roadmancampers.com

Won't let me paste a damn pic for some reason... <shrug>

Hoovooloo:
    The poles will be attached to the trailer and just pivot in place, At least, that is the plan. LOL! My one car garage is too small to put the tent up over the box due to large welders, table saw, chop saw on a stand and a few more woodworking machines, plus a motorcycle platform lift and a motorcycle. Oh, and a large rolling tool cart. So, I am waiting for warmer weather to get the box outside. I plan on putting an 8 x 10 tent over the top and cutting it to fit. The tent has tapered sides which ends up being 4 feet wide at the top, and since the trailer is 4 feet long, hopefully will allow me to use poles that will lay on top of the body and pivot up to support the peak of the tent. I plan on using three poles due to the design of the tent. If I have to go with a custom tent or top, I have a friend that sews canvas, (she does seat covers, canvas repairs, convertible tops, and canopies,etc) and she said she can make a custom one fairly cheaply. Anyway, the tent will be oriented so that the 10 foot length will extend past the rear of the trailer about 5 feet and give me room for the door to operate and a place for a chair and small table.

Jim

I like these ideas for a home built camper. Another post I seen somewhere on the web, some one used a tent cot and took the legs off of it and mounted it on a home made trailer. It folded out and was set up. No custom polls were needed as they are part of the tent cot. Something like this

https://www.winterial.com/products/w...xoCGKMQAvD_BwE

Fabricater:

Here is a person that mounted a Cabela's tent cot on a HF type trailer.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JXl...s5Hh_Bp0FOGk7w

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jayceesfolly View Post
    Fabricater:

Here is a person that mounted a Cabela's tent cot on a HF type trailer.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JXl...s5Hh_Bp0FOGk7w

Jim
    That's the one I saw. I think it's a great idea. I would make it different ,open it to the sides and make it so it had a hard cover and a few other things.But I like the idea. It's like everything else build one and then improve on the next one.

Between you two and Kerry, there is going to be some really interesting campers at the next camp-out. You're way over my head, I can't draw a straight line, much less cut one.
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA