Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a mini mate type design that I can build myself.

Looking for a mini mate type design that I can build myself.

Maybe someone here can help. I like the Mini Mate camper a lot, but would prefer to build something similar myself. Does anyone know of some plans or a design that I could use to build from? I have experience in wood and fiberglass work. I have not done any canvas work, but I'm sure I could do it with a little study. Any help or direction would be appreciated.
    2017 Triumph Trophy SE
    Sold - 2013 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited Anniv. Ed.

Re: Looking for a mini mate type design that I can build myself.

2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

The Mini Mate is a pretty good design and the fibreglass body will last forever. I would look for an older body that has tent damage if I really wanted to change and/or customize in a radical way. It would be a labour of love and quite a bit of it to go from scratch without a mold. Even more if you wanted to make a one-off mold first. It could be an interesting project.

I've seen plans for using a standard trailer from Harbor Freight or something like that with a box on it, the putting one of those car top tent campers on it. That would be 'similar' to what you are asking for. They do end up being a bit heavier tho.

Mostly Harmless
    (Threadstarter)

Yea, that'a a nice one, but not the type I'm looking for. I'm wanting a Mini Mate style, not a teardrop. But thanks for the link. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Or I may just have to draw one up from scratch.

I'm wanting the experience of building it and would most likely look at building it from wood and then glassing over it. Kinda like the CLC teardrop construction, but using a fold up tent structure on top, like the mini mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoovooloo View Post
    but using a fold up tent structure on top, like the mini mate.
    Here's another (expensive) option

https://www.trailmasterinc.com/aspen-summit

I have lots of pics of my Kwik Kamp framing and dimensions, that I took for someone rebuilding a KK, if that's of any value.... B.
    2008 GL1800
    CSC Escapade Elite cargo trailer
    Kwik Kamp camper trailer

Mostly Harmless
    (Threadstarter)

Both the Kwik Kamp II and the Aspen are getting very close to what I'm looking for. I'll take a closer look and see if I can figure out how to make them. I'm sure these small campers are made well, but they still are a significant amount of money. The idea about finding a Mini Mate or something like it with tent damage is an interesting thought. Although I still think I would enjoy building it from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoovooloo View Post
    Both the Kwik Kamp II and the Aspen are getting very close to what I'm looking for. I'll take a closer look and see if I can figure out how to make them. I'm sure these small campers are made well, but they still are a significant amount of money. The idea about finding a Mini Mate or something like it with tent damage is an interesting thought. Although I still think I would enjoy building it from scratch.
    I had a custom replacement canvas made for my minimate, $1200 us. I think a "clam" ice fishing shanty on a harbor freight trailer would be moderate cost effective fast folding camper. John
    KISS

Here is a couple photos of a clam shell type camper I am building this winter. I do not have the canvas on it yet but will finish in a month or so. I am currently building the alum poles. By removing one section of the bed area, it allows me to sit at a collapsible table and also stand up to get dressed. By removing all three floorboards allows easy access for storing camping articles and supplies. The sleeping platform is 45 x 80 when open. The frame is a 40 x 48 HF trailer, with an extended tongue. So far have spent $100.00 for the trailer and about $75.00 for plywood (1/4") and misc. fasteners for the box. The box is 30 " high to give me ample storage space inside. It will have 12V and 110 Volt wired in to the body with a 36AH AGM battery for charging laptop, cell phones and LED inside. You can mount a small two or three man tent on the platform to make it easier and cheaper to build. Just clamp the four corner of the tent down and you only have to insert the tent poles. Then throw a 12 x 12 tarp over it for a rainfly or shade. Hope this gives you an idea or two, Hoovooloo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018-10-21_10-49-55_614.jpg   2018-10-21_10-50-16_838.jpg   2018-10-21_10-50-49_984.jpg  
    Last edited by Jayceesfolly; 03-13-2019 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Added note