Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: electrical input needed

Re: electrical input needed

Great research!
    2012 Limited Harley Davidson +09 Aspen classic
    ( WIFE MADE ME BUY THEM BOTH)
    The only time you can have too much fuel.............is if your on fire!

2 batteries are better than one. Simple thinking, 3 batteries are better than 2. Could you connect jumpers to the bike's battery as the 3rd? Or Maybe even run the engine for a first few minutes during cooking?
    I'm looking forward to meeting you at the cherohala camp out.
    John
    KISS

(Threadstarter)

Ok a bit of update. First conclusion, yes the 2 batteries in parallel will cook 1 meal in the instapot from a "full" charge. That leaves them at a voltage of about 11.1. Still good enough to run my CPAP a few more nights or recharge a few devices, but not cook another meal until fully recharged. That will work. The only thing is the #6 cables between the last battery and the inverter still warmed up a bit more than I liked. Not hot but still warm. So last mod will be to up the size of wire to 2/0. Ya I know probably over kill but only wanted to do this once and I only wanted to buy one set of Anderson plug couplers. That size is not cheep. This way I have quick disconnects to move batteries to recharge in the chuck wagon where the solar panel setup will be. I am in process of cutting and bending the 2/0 wires short as possible and connecting the Anderson plugs will update and try my hand at picts soon. Great talking to you yesterday John, and if the thick stranded 2/0 causes too much grief I will look for the welding wire.

Could the Anderson plugs allow the bikes to charge the batteries while driving between campgrounds or during day trips? I am seldom in a campsite for more than 2 nights and have fully charged batteries from the road time.
    John

(Threadstarter)

That's a possibility, however these 2 batteries are lithium polymer -LiPo- batteries from china I assume since all the writing on them are in Chinese and I have not much knowledge on this type of battery. They came from a seller on ebay without any user manual and only an AC charger brick. So as inefficient as it is to charge these batteries I plug the AC charger brick into the small RCA port on the battery and then into the inverter on the LIFePo battery. I then plug the LiFePO battery into the solar panels since the LiFePO battery will act as a pass through for the solar panels to the LiPo battery. I know it sounds like the longest way around to charge them, but I want to be able to very closely monitor the charging of these Chinese batteries until I feel more comfortable with them.

I see, the batteries need a smart charger. I carry one of those micro jump starters that also requires a 120vac charger. I look for an electric outlet in Tim H, McDonald's, mom and pops. I did carry an inverter for the cpap.
    I'm big on simplicity.
    John

I bought a lithium battery charger off flea-bay that plugs into a cigarette plug. Planned on just hot wiring it to charge my lithium batteries. Cheap and simply...
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

(Threadstarter)

Interesting side note. Yesterday I thought I would charge up my 3 main batteries from house AC. The 2 LiPO batteries pull ~83 Watts each. Which works for the inverter on the LiFePo4 battery, since it can handle 300 Watts out AC. But the AC charger brick only pumps in 43Watts so the plan to charge the 2 LiPO batteries ( or even 1) will never keep up on shore power charging. When I did it with the solar panels it worked well since it was pumping in over 120watts and the pull as the 2 charging through the pass through dropped as they topped off down to less than 50 watts. My off grid set up is looking better all the time.

Good research!

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Rob speaking of wire, if you need a high strand count for greater flexibility and load handling another good source for it is the car audio market. Like you said it can be pricey, but it’s normally sold by the foot and they have gobs of terminals, even gold plated ones. I made a short set of jumper cables from wire I had leftover from the last install I did and they roll up and store nicely! A quick search at Crutchfield shows their 1/0 at $5.99 a foot just to give you a reference.
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster