Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: electrical input needed

electrical input needed

Trying to work out an AC / DC set up on our LL. We have 2 x 100aH LiPo batteries https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...1fb15b7bPlPfhT
    and this 1500W inverter https://www.amazon.com/lvyuan-Carava...KP6Z9HVDBDAGCN
    Here is my challenge. When I hook up one battery to the inverter and try to run an appliance (instapot) that is rated 800W the display on the inverter quickly changes from 12.0 volts down to 10 volts (~90 seconds). Then an alarm goes off. If I shut down the draw the display goes back to ~11.7 volts.
    Is my problem the battery or inverter? If I put the two batteries together would that help? If so parallel or series? Don't know if this inverter would work on 24volts.

Re: electrical input needed

parallel to maintain 12 v but increase amp output. inverters a re notorious for draw a ton of amps.
    Gary

2005 Honda VTX 1800,2001 Honda Shadow VLX, 1970 Honda Passport 70
    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 175
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

Hooking batteries in parallel is the way to increase available amperage.
    Heating appliances are going to draw down the available power very fast.
    Good luck.
    My life is a caricature of reality
    David C.
    Suzuki VStrom 650 - Sold, Current Ryde Can Am Spyder STS -" "
    Honda ST1300 - Sold, Suzuki Burgman 400 - RIP

Parallel for 12 volts! I'm sure the initial current is dropping the voltage too low to keep it running,so it shuts down. Like David says heating device is going to really drag battery life down quickly.!
    2012 Limited Harley Davidson +09 Aspen classic
    ( WIFE MADE ME BUY THEM BOTH)
    The only time you can have too much fuel.............is if your on fire!

(Threadstarter)

thanks I will keep you informed after I try this configuration.

That's a huge draw on the system. I think the formula is amps = watts/volts. So, ?=800/12 which means the draw is 66 amps! I know, this is not accurate because you are drawing 120 volts out of the inverter, but it will be close. The inverters also draw just in sitting idle let alone when they are converting DC to AC. It will help when you have the 2 batteries connected (parallel yes) but it really is a huge load. I try to only run battery chargers and trailer/tent lights off my little system and stick to 12 volt loads... and light ones. (bad pun) 50 watt solar panel, 14 ah old bike battery. I do have a 75 watt inverter that I am tempted to use for charging my laptop (45 watts) but I will only do that on a sunny day so the solar panel is carrying most of the load and not just the battery.
    I think you are going to have to up your battery capacity a lot or only run AC 120 appliances at campgrounds where you can plug in.

Inverters like a nominal 12vdc. My experience is voltage drop to 9vdc shuts down the inverter even on small loads like my cpap machine. I ran the bike engine for a test and proved my setup works fine with the generator maintaining nominal 12vdc. Actual results 13.4vdc . On the other hand, my rv battery bank is huge and runs the same inverter with cpap machine nicely. But if left neglected to 9vdc inverter drops off line. I gave up and look for power or do without the cpap. Side note, I use a micro gas stove for coffee. John
    KISS

(Threadstarter)

If Watts / Volts = Amps then the insta pot would be 800 / 120 =6.667 Amps of draw. ??right?? Add to that what the inverter wastes ?? my 200 aHrs of battery capacity (2x100) should run it fine? I also have 300Watts of solar power to run/recharge our batteries. These two 100 aHr bat. , a 45 aHr bat. , and the 30 aHr battery back up for the Frig / freezer https://www.acopower.com/product/por...zer-and-cooler
    I know it's starting o sound like Glamping not camping. In my defense Deb likes to cook and this IS a 2 year full time adventure not just a 4 day weekend.

You might be 6.6 amps @120 volts coming off the inverter, but you still have only 12 volts going into the inverter... sometimes the experimenting is better than math lol. A slow cooker, well, at least mine, only draws 250 watts but I'm not going to take it on the road. I know I'm sticking to propane stove for cooking and looking at Dutch oven recipes... I love cast iron. You have a far bit of solar, but you may have to chose the sunny days for full electrical cooking.

Jim c-g almost hit the point. when converting from 12v to 120v, you have approx. a 10:1 ratio. That means that it takes about 10 times the amperage to get the same total wattage. so your pot draws 6.6 amps at 120v. Now, multiply that by 10 to get the amperage at 12v. Thats about 66 amps at 12v. As jim c-g said. energy is energy. You cannot create it or destroy it. It just changes form. Wattage is the key.
    2017 Triumph Trophy SE
    Sold - 2013 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited Anniv. Ed.