Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives for time-out campers electric brakes

Alternatives for time-out campers electric brakes

So, if the winds of the world blow my way...I think I might be getting another time-out. Last year I sold my TO in lieu to buy a full on camper, and I hugely regret it. Not to say that the camper wasnt fun, but it was my first shot at owning one, and I think that will be another purchase in the future closer to retirement or something. Anyhow, I made contact with a seller that has his TO for sale at a reasonable price, and my intent is to pick it up on Thursday. Question is, while I never used the trailer brakes on my previous TO, I might consider doing so on this new-to-me unit. The brakes are a stiff 550 bucks from Time Out....is there an alternative, or maybe something I could by from dexter to retrofit the brakes onto this unit?
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Re: Alternatives for time-out campers electric brakes

I hate to say it, but from what I remember, it's actually MORE expensive to try and put the brakes on afterwards... I believe the axle has to be swapped or something. There are guys that have done this that will hopefully speak up.. but I don't recall a cheaper method for trailer brakes after the fact.

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)

The goldwing brakes are adequate for it, so I'm not too worried about it. I had them on the old TO, but never set them up with a controller. I think I will likely keep this one awhile and might consider if it is reasonable to do so.

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but thought someone might find this helpful. Once you get a trailer with brakes, and you don't want to wire your bike for them, take a look at Autowbrake. I am very happy with mine. It needs power, but once it has it, no need to worry about what is pulling the trailer. It is stand alone on the trailer with a tiny remote to adjust the braking power or just hit the trailer brakes with out the bike. Expensive, but so easy to install. The power can come from the standard brake lights wires or from a battery on the trailer. The controller has sensors that apply brake power proportional to how hard the trailer is slowing down.
    -- Jeff
    2014 H-D Limited
    2005 H-D Dyna Trike
    2008 Roll-A-Home Camper

HarleyJack

Thats interesting Jeff , my first TO back in the eighties was brake less , wasnt too bad , wish I had kept it .. The TO I got in 2012 had them and I was glad ..
    2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra

I put electric brakes on my minimate. E trailer Was my source for parts . May I suggest that you talk to etrailer first. Along with stock parts, they offer estimates on custom work. I should have started with a talk about what is available from them. It would have saved me a lot of work and time. I don't have any connection with etrailer except for being a happy customer.
    I did find out the 8 inch rims have enough room for 7 inch brakes. Look at the thread minimate brakes. John
    KISS

Administrator
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyairhead View Post
    I put electric brakes on my minimate. E trailer Was my source for parts . May I suggest that you talk to etrailer first. Along with stock parts, they offer estimates on custom work. I should have started with a talk about what is available from them. It would have saved me a lot of work and time. I don't have any connection with etrailer except for being a happy customer.
    I did find out the 8 inch rims have enough room for 7 inch brakes. Look at the thread minimate brakes. John
    Great idea, I shot them an email. I gotta say they are the best. I ordered stuff late Tuesday night, at 7am Wednesday morning I got notice my packages had shipped, and received them on Thursday afternoon. They literally beat amazon by a couple of days they were so fast.

Glad to help
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jkane13 View Post
    Not meaning to hijack this thread, but thought someone might find this helpful. Once you get a trailer with brakes, and you don't want to wire your bike for them, take a look at Autowbrake. I am very happy with mine. It needs power, but once it has it, no need to worry about what is pulling the trailer. It is stand alone on the trailer with a tiny remote to adjust the braking power or just hit the trailer brakes with out the bike. Expensive, but so easy to install. The power can come from the standard brake lights wires or from a battery on the trailer. The controller has sensors that apply brake power proportional to how hard the trailer is slowing down.
    That is one sweet brake system. Gotta get it!

If I had seen autowbrake when building mine I would have bought it. My controller is in the trailer box and is powered by the camper's battery. An on/off switch on the outside of the box and recharged by the trailer lights. A break away switch can apply trailer brakes independent of the bikes power. My setup won't allow separate trailer controlling like your remote control. I feel the my trailer's breaking action neutralizes the rolling load of the trailer. Occasionally I will forget to turn on the trailer brakes giving me a wake-up on the first application. A reminder of how much stopping power is in the trailer brakes and how forgetful I'm getting. I'm going to rewire the brakes to be in series, might reduce their grabby nature.
    John