Thread: Blue ridge parkway and the Natchez trace

Blue ridge parkway and the Natchez trace

Looking to take off in the last week of July from NE Pa for these two locations anybody up for a ride!

Re: Blue ridge parkway and the Natchez trace

I just rode the Trace last year, and I've ridden the Blue Ridge in the past.
    It you've never ridden them before, some hints. If you have, then maybe someone else can use this info.
    Both, although the scenery is different, are great roads and share some common traits:
    Low speed limits, which is fine by me. I like to cruise.
    No gas stations...don't run low. I use a GPS to find which exits have gas nearby.
    Limited access...also good, but there are portions where the locals use them as short cuts, so depending on the time of day, you may hit some traffic.
    Camping is available along both, but the locations are widely spread out.
    A lot of scenic lookouts on the Blue Ridge vs a lot of historical and natural sites along the Trace...Cypress swamps, burial mounds.
    If you're into a lot of man-made attractions and activities, like viewing old Southern Towns, or if you like to stay in hotels instead of camping, you'll need to find them off these two roads. Both are both are largely commercial free except for a visitor center somewhere along the way.

Of the two, I prefer the BRP. The scenery is endless. The Trace can get a bit monotonous in some areas. Still worth it, though.

One thing I'd strongly recommend on the BRP...
    At the higher elevations, especially near it's Southern terminus near the Great Smokey Mountains it can get COLD, up to 30 Degrees colder than in the valleys. I found out the hard way. My teeth are still chattering. Even in the summer, have something warm and waterproof in the saddlebags.

I'll heading West that week.

Have a great trip.
    I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.

If you are including Skyline Dr on your trip, stay pretty close to the speed limit. The speed limit is only 35MPH in many places and the rangers do love to give out those very expensive federal tickets.
    Deb

2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    If you are including Skyline Dr on your trip, stay pretty close to the speed limit. The speed limit is only 35MPH in many places and the rangers do love to give out those very expensive federal tickets.
    Speaking from experience Deb?
    2019 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
    Speaking from experience Deb?
    Yep got a 275.00 ticket a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by dimetraveler View Post
    Looking to take off in the last week of July from NE Pa for these two locations anybody up for a ride!
    Which way are you going from BRP to NT? I might hook up along the way and ride part of the northern section of NT which I enjoy much more than the southern part. I'm always looking for an excuse to go somewhere.

I also like camping on the NT because its free . Several times when I've gone out west I cut up thru AL & TN and stop over on the NT at M.W. Lewis camp ground.
    Meach and Maggie
    05 vtx1300
    07 RS Venture (RIP 2016)
    09 DL 650 VSTROM

OK the NT well one pay campground has a bicycle hanging on their sign.
    Very nice couple owned it the time I camped there. He fixed me a free breakfast the next day.
    But I was alone. LOL He took a picture of my 55 Nomad, trailer I was pulling.

He told me of the don't miss site as I went down the Trace from NASHVILLE.
    150 YARDS East of mile marker 338. Top edge of AL.

https://www.natcheztracetravel.com/n...tone-wall.html

Here is a YouTube Video of the man who made the rock wall. Telling his story of is great great grandmother.
    The reason he made the wall in her honor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVGuVnCUPgg&t=48s

I stopped and heard his story in person.

I was glad I stopped, very impressed with what he did....

Buttset from Mo.

Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Yep got a 275.00 ticket a few years back.
    Ouch! As they say "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...". I've helped out with a contribution to the state treasury myself a few times.

I live at the foot of the Mtn. and ride it a lot during the heat of summer to take advantage of the cooler temps. Although never had an issue with speeding. I have had warnings for crossing the centerline(when passing bicycles), and not putting a foot down(?) when stopping at stop signs. Sometimes I just wonder what they're thinking.... B.
    2008 GL1800
    CSC Escapade Elite cargo trailer
    Kwik Kamp camper trailer