Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do we get guests to be members?

How do we get guests to be members?

OK Wed. Feb 6. Middle of winter and I just looked in.

5 members and 85 guests.

We can ask them why, are you not a member? But they can't answer....lol

I find it interesting, so many guests, love to check in, read our posts, get good information.
    But don't think, to join, as members. I am not an old long time, member, myself.
    But I wanted to join, the first time I came and read about this place.

Funny it might end. I had that happen to me before. Another web site about motorcycles, I was part
    of before FB. Loved all the banter and friendship. Once we had a rally, with almost 100, members showing up.
    I visited site everyday. Like FB is to some now. Heck at midnight some weekday, might have 50, of us on-line.
    They let members bicker about things, glad we don't here, and that's a Good Thing. But it was a diverse crowd to be sure.

Well one day it ended, what I KNOW ABOUT IT, 1995 Software, crashed, not able to repair. Gone overnight.
    If you did not have a e-mail or cell # of some one you talked to every day. Too Bad they were gone....

Hope the FB backup Plan works, if this site ends. I think It Will...

That info out to the Left. over 2000, people on this site one time, is amazing to me. LOL

Buttset from Mo.

Re: How do we get guests to be members?

I also hope motocampers doesn't fade away also.
    The reason why it shows so many guests is if you are not signed in it will show guest

If I'm not mistaken, I can view all of the posts by just going to Motocampers.com. If I don't log in, then I can't reply or start any new threads, but I can read what is here. So some of the 85 guests may have been members that weren't actually logged in????
    Rick B
    NE Oregon
    Freedom Cruisers Riding Club
    Patriot Guard Riders

(Threadstarter)

OK I see I will admit I did not know all the facts.

When I go here I am always able to post and Reply

so I guess I am auto-logged in each time.

So I am schooled. LOL

Buttset

Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, I can view all of the posts by just going to Motocampers.com. If I don't log in, then I can't reply or start any new threads, but I can read what is here. So some of the 85 guests may have been members that weren't actually logged in????
    While this is true, I can not imagine members not logging in. I have tried it and, inevitability, I find a thread I wanted to reply to. So, then I am forced to backtrack, log in, locate the post again and reply. PITA!

Quote Originally Posted by dbone View Post
    While this is true, I can not imagine members not logging in. I have tried it and, inevitability, I find a thread I wanted to reply to. So, then I am forced to backtrack, log in, locate the post again and reply. PITA!
    Yes, logging in is best. But sometimes I'm at work and just want to pop in and see anything new.

I resemble this remark. I just joined but have stopped by off and on for a while. To be honest I haven't needed to post. But I now have a Mini-Mate and likely will need to become a bit more active.

I will say that I show as a guest on many boards because I logout and clear cookies at shutdown. I like some cookies but not the internet kind.
    Andy Cote
    Windham, ME
    DARKSIDE #1500
    2015 GL1800, Basic black, Nomad Replica cargo trailer

Most of the "Guests" are not actually people.

I've put in a bunch of extra security and other anti-robot/spider measures in the last week and now the number is a lot more palatable. We were getting 300+ robots and spiders on the site which sucks up bandwidth, CPU time, and other overheard. More than likely the reality is that we probably have <5 users at a time browsing but not registered. Just for fun you can look at the bottom of the forumhome page and see "Spiders/Bots Activity Blocked From Site" entry. It's at nearly 3000 now, from being put in just a couple of days ago. (you may not see that though, I'm not sure what the security is on that plug in)
    Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Quote Originally Posted by Derick View Post
    Most of the "Guests" are not actually people.
    I did not know that. Interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Cote View Post
    I resemble this remark. I just joined but have stopped by off and on for a while. To be honest I haven't needed to post. But I now have a Mini-Mate and likely will need to become a bit more active.

I will say that I show as a guest on many boards because I logout and clear cookies at shutdown. I like some cookies but not the internet kind.
    Ya, me too. I camped a lot more in the past and now only every now and then. I have received lots of good info here though and have enjoyed reading and following the posts, usually as a "guest". Just never a need to post. Really glad the site will continue.