Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping suggestions southern US

Camping suggestions southern US

I have a jagged 4 corners in early planning for next summer. I have lots of information on the eastern leg, the western leg and my northern leg. Not so much on the southern leg. I'm going to try to stay at as many National Forest Parks, Federal and State Parks as possible. I've got a few privately run motorcycle campgrounds on my radar too. Looking for suggestions to camp between, say Jacksonville, Florida and the Grand Canyon. This would be in the first 2 weeks of June so I am hoping to beat the extreme heat and hurricane season. I've got a couple of rallies as well as old friends and some relatives to see, so the route is flexible but I do have a few dates where I need to be at certain places.
    Roughly looks like this. Subject to change... running clockwise.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019 long.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	22773
    And probably running the PCH instead of the inland route Google maps suggested.

Re: Camping suggestions southern US

I know you can ride but one road at a time, but the ride through the Outer Banks of NC will give you NP campgrounds at Oregon Inlet, Cape Hatteras and a little further on, Ocracoke Island. all very nice campgrounds. In addition, if you're going to be in Texas, Big Bend is a must. Enjoy the planning and the ride. Brian

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by oldwinger View Post
    I know you can ride but one road at a time, but the ride through the Outer Banks of NC will give you NP campgrounds at Oregon Inlet, Cape Hatteras and a little further on, Ocracoke Island. all very nice campgrounds. In addition, if you're going to be in Texas, Big Bend is a must. Enjoy the planning and the ride. Brian
    Good suggestions, Brian. Big Bend might not be possible this trip. I am locked into a date in Los Angeles and I don't want to push it on the slab on the way out. I used to do the 1000-1200 km per day vacations but now I want to do the secondary roads and 400-600 km days with leisurely camping as much as possible. I do want to hit the Magee Valley area again on my way but from there to LA looks a little more like what I have attached now... so many roads... so many choices lol. The nerd in me wants to pass through Roswell and get a pic at the gates to Area 51 in Nevada.

Name:	south route 2.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	22779

If you modified your Texas route to go out I20 instead the more southern route, I would strongly recommend Caddo Lake State Park.

2012 Honda Goldwing
    2009 Timeout Camper
    Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 IBA member #59823

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If you modified your Texas route to go out I20 instead the more southern route, I would strongly recommend Caddo Lake State Park.
    Nothing is in stone yet, so thanks for that lead.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Jim .... looking at the section of your route from Tofino through BC, I'd highly suggest you bypass the boring/heavily travelled Hwy 1 out of Vancouver and instead head north on the Sea to Sky Hwy (Hwy 99)and spend the night at a great free campground just outside of Lillooet, run by BC Hydro on Seton Lake.

Dusty
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Jim .... looking at the section of your route from Tofino through BC, I'd highly suggest you bypass the boring/heavily travelled Hwy 1 out of Vancouver and instead head north on the Sea to Sky Hwy (Hwy 99)and spend the night at a great free campground just outside of Lillooet, run by BC Hydro on Seton Lake.

Dusty
    Thanks Dusty,
    Damn fine suggestion... I rode to Whistler on a rental bike in the late '80s and I hear the road is better now. For some reason I thought it ended there. I'll be staying in Vanouver for a few days and I know I'll want to get further than Lillooet that first day back on the road but will put Seton Lake in the notepad. doing 99 I probably want to get past Kamloops that day, then up Hwy 5 and down through Jasper and Banff which I did in a van way back then too. Just starting to make more detailed maps... the first one was a very broad stroke. I am going to have to slab it across the prairies... promised to meet someone to do Nova Scotia and the Cabot Trail with them before heading back to Newfoundland.
    Jim

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

There are a few POI/photo Ops along the Sea to Sky and Duffy Lake Rd enroute to the campground to make that a good ending point for a day's travel and relax. Then hit it hard north of the Loops/Blue River.

Name:	2017 CMC National Rally 026  -  1.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	447.7 KB 
ID:	22823 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017 CMC National Rally 029  -  1.jpg 
Size:	469.6 KB 
ID:	22824 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Squamish and Stawamus Chief.jpg 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	22825

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Hmmm... maybe I will need a short ride day and a detox after being in Vancouver for a couple of days. Beautiful area.

Jim C-G, looking at your map and for your stop in Ouray, Colorado I highly recommend that you ride US 550 a little farther south to Durango, Colorado and return to Ouray. This is the "Million Dollar Highway" I believe you will enjoy it.