Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teardrops campers

Re: Teardrops campers

�� ok, but......
    KISS

Quote Originally Posted by newday777 View Post
    It might not be this year so don't hold yer breath.....
    I just talked to the CEO of CLC. Ed@clcboats.com

He has had repeated requests to down sizing their teardrop. Said it won't work because of the shape isn't flat sided.

They are boat kit builders. The key word here is KITS.

Doesn't really know about motorcycles pulling trailers. He is interested in learning from do it yourself bikers. Especially what base trailer would you put the shell on. Basic size desired.

I listed minimate and leisure lite for small to large comparison.

I suggested a shell kit without anything else, just the shell and let the customer be creative with the doors whatever .

Ed is interested in DIY people and possibly new items. His email is ed@clcboats.com. He is not in our club.

My apologies for hijacking this link. No hard feelings if you move this somewhere else.
    Thank you John

Oceanside CA, and Milford NH and lots in between

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyairhead View Post
    I just talked to the CEO of CLC. Ed@clcboats.com

He has had repeated requests to down sizing their teardrop. Said it won't work because of the shape isn't flat sided.

They are boat kit builders. The key word here is KITS.

Doesn't really know about motorcycles pulling trailers. He is interested in learning from do it yourself bikers. Especially what base trailer would you put the shell on. Basic size desired.

I listed minimate and leisure lite for small to large comparison.

I suggested a shell kit without anything else, just the shell and let the customer be creative with the doors whatever .

Ed is interested in DIY people and possibly new items. His email is ed@clcboats.com. He is not in our club.

My apologies for hijacking this link. No hard feelings if you move this somewhere else.
    Thank you John

Good info.
    I could deal with the length at 8' just the width needs to be narrower to tow with a bike(2 wheeler) and trikes because of wind drag and mirrors being able to see to the rear. My wing mirrors are at @ 43" outside.
    It is a teardrop so it's not hacking it John. I think he asked for ideas and recommendations.
    Stu.
    2008 GL1800 Level 4
    1988 KampARoo pop up tent trailer
    Previously 2007 & 2008 Aspen Sentry

Quote Originally Posted by Jayceesfolly View Post
    IMO, pulling a 630 lb. ( empty weight) camper behind a motorcycle is dangerous. By the time you add your camping equipment, the weight could be in the area of 750 to 800 lbs. It's not the pulling that is the problem, it's the stopping that is the problem. I wonder what would happen with a panic stop? 110 lb. tongue weight on a trike seems a little high to me.
    Not sure where you came up with your 630 lbs as nothing has been said on weight or links given at the point you posted in January.

They make electric brakes which work great on small trailers if keep them adjusted properly. I've had an Aspen Sentry with electric brakes, and have towed at least 550 lbs total with it loaded around the country.
    I've known others that have towed heavier loaded trailer without brakes, not good in my opinion, but to each his own. It can be done.
    Myself, I'll put brakes on a teardrop when I build one as I go out for long durations and carry my hand tools to do the Then Came Bronson life.

Newday:

I thought he mentioned the MyPod in his post. Here is the info I quoted from the MyPod website.

MyPod
    Easy to Tow. Easy to Love.
    The MyPod is a 100% fiberglass molded body on a sturdy frame. With a dry weight of 630 lbs. and tongue weight of just 110 lbs., the MyPod is a perfect for smaller towing vehicles and still packs a ton of great features. Choose from white, silver, black, blue or red. Includes Full/Double Size Bed.

As I stated, I wouldn't pull this kind of weight but the website says it can be pulled by a trike. Nothing on the website says anything about brakes. But wonder what the gross weight would be with your food, clothes, cooler, stove, etc. on board.

I looked at the mypod a couple years ago and didn't like the weight or tongue weight nor the width for 2 wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillgoing View Post
    Kerry;

When did you get the trike?

3 of us getting ready for the Southern leg of our 48 state capitol tour, ]
    Hi Tom, I thought I recognized that trailer. I picked up the Trike in june of '18, its a Wilmac with a 1600dp motor, great fun to drive and I can't drop it in the mud! Pulls the teardrop great but no protection fromthe elements on a cold rainy day. Good luck on your tour, wish I was going...

Quote Originally Posted by kerryb View Post
    Hi Tom, I thought I recognized that trailer. I picked up the Trike in june of '18, its a Wilmac with a 1600dp motor, great fun to drive and I can't drop it in the mud! Pulls the teardrop great but no protection fromthe elements on a cold rainy day. Good luck on your tour, wish I was going...
    If the southern leg goes good, we'll look at the Northeast leg later in the year or next spring. No maintenance truck; he decided it would be a boring trip watching 3 bikes and trailers rolling down the roads.

Quote Originally Posted by JacktheBagger View Post
    Thats sweet , more details .. HHMM looks like a 79-80ish GW with the Vetter fairing , almost bought a new 80 model with the Vetter , but $5500 was lots of money back then ..
    its an '83 GW std. with interstate luggage and a Vetter., lots of fun. Here's a couple of the trailer guts. foam, fiberglass, and marine ply with epoxy. just remembered ha ha there is a build thread on this forum under trailers titled "the race to Sept." http://www.motocampers.com/forums/sh...-to-Sept/page1. I would be happy to supply more details, just ask.
    I'll be trying to make it to the Nw Pa campout in Sept.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails compositesm.jpg   IMG_2214sm.jpg  

If I was 20 years younger I would try to build one but can't cut a straight line now. Heck have hard enough time riding straight.
    Gary

2005 Honda VTX 1800,2001 Honda Shadow VLX, 1970 Honda Passport 70
    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 175
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100