Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teardrops campers

HarleyJack

Re: Teardrops campers

Quote Originally Posted by kerryb View Post
    Here's mine, mind you it's only a cargo trailer and it tops out about 220lbs loaded. Now that I have the trike, the plan is to do a larger one that unfolds like a leisurelite. Time will tell...
    One advantage is that I get 42mpg combined with loaded trailer in tow.
    Thats sweet , more details .. HHMM looks like a 79-80ish GW with the Vetter fairing , almost bought a new 80 model with the Vetter , but $5500 was lots of money back then ..
    2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra

So I have looked as these guys: https://timetotrailer.com/ Their Weekender base is 300 lbs. Any experience with this outfit? I recently reached out for some details more than on the site. Should hear back soon,
    Andy Cote
    Windham, ME
    DARKSIDE #1500
    2015 GL1800, Basic black, Nomad Replica cargo trailer

Those are the guys that were at the motorcycle show. Nice trailers.
    2017 Triumph Trophy SE

Kerry;

When did you get the trike?

3 of us getting ready for the Southern leg of our 48 state capitol tour, leaving from here on the 11th of May and hopefully returning by the 19th. I'll be pulling the yellow & gray teardrop with my 1988 GL1500; my brother will be pulling the white teardrop with an 86 Aspencade trike, and a friend will be dragging a "coffin-shaped trailer" (his words) with his Road King. We may even have a "maintenance truck" behind us with tools and big items in the back. You woouldn't believe the things old people do when they get bored.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GL1500 left.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	22880

Name:	27 - left side.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	22881

Name:	05 - front.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	246.9 KB 
ID:	22882

Quote Originally Posted by newday777 View Post
    I've thought of building one of these at some point.

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/r...p-trailer.html
    I've been looking at CLC . Nice teardrop with shape of a space age pod. I have wondered if they would make a 3/4 scale kit but afraid to ask. Just what I need is another project. Darn good looking.
    KISS

Quote Originally Posted by Stillgoing View Post
    Kerry;

When did you get the trike?

3 of us getting ready for the Southern leg of our 48 state capitol tour, leaving from here on the 11th of May and hopefully returning by the 19th. I'll be pulling the yellow & gray teardrop with my 1988 GL1500; my brother will be pulling the white teardrop with an 86 Aspencade trike, and a friend will be dragging a "coffin-shaped trailer" (his words) with his Road King. We may even have a "maintenance truck" behind us with tools and big items in the back. You woouldn't believe the things old people do when they get bored.

Name:	GL1500 left.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	22880

Name:	27 - left side.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	22881

Name:	05 - front.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	246.9 KB 
ID:	22882

Welcome to the forum (I'm still a newbee myself). Where are you from?

Pix look like homemade camper shells maybe on 4x8 frames? Do you have some build history and details? How much do they weigh?

I built the yellow one last year using a 4X8 HF trailer. The body is a sandwich design with plywood, foam insulation, and plywood on the sides and bottom, and a sheet of FRP on the roof. It is wired for 110V with outlets inside, in the rear cooking area, and one outside outlet. It also has a 12V battery powering the LED lights and one 12V outlet in the rear and one inside. It's rather heavy at 700lbs, but includes a twin mattress, airconditioner, TV, CD player, radio, and digital TV antenna. I've pulled it with both a GL1500 and a Gl1200 with no problems.

I built the white one this winter on a modified HF trailer with 8" tires, using aluminum for the frame and ribs throughout. The trailer frame with the axle, tires, and tongue weighed 110lbs. The body is also a sandwich design, with FRP inside, foam insulation, and FRP on the outside and roof. It's wired for 110V, with outlets inside and in the rear. It also has 12V power for the LED lights and the 12V power outlets inside and in the back. It weighs 400 lbs empty. Due to the weather, I haven't had it on the road yet, but I don't expect any problems.

I do have construction pictures for both trailers, if the forum wants them.

Tom

Oceanside CA, and Milford NH and lots in between

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyairhead View Post
    I've been looking at CLC . Nice teardrop with shape of a space age pod. I have wondered if they would make a 3/4 scale kit but afraid to ask. Just what I need is another project. Darn good looking.
    My idea is to narrow it to @ 36" frame, probably have to do my own mods to the CLC kit though I haven't contacted them to see if they can ajust their CNC cutouts.
    Stu.
    2008 GL1800 Level 4
    1988 KampARoo pop up
    Previously 2007 & 2008 Aspen Sentry

Quote Originally Posted by newday777 View Post
    My idea is to narrow it to @ 36" frame, probably have to do my own mods to the CLC kit though I haven't contacted them to see if they can ajust their CNC cutouts.
    Seems like a simple adjustment to the existing computer plan . Chesapeake Light Craft has been doing small watercraft for a long time. They had a do it yourself shop plan so a customer can buy, and build (roughing in) at their shop and To be finished at home. I'm looking forward your findings. ��
    John

Oceanside CA, and Milford NH and lots in between

It might not be this year so don't hold yer breath.....