Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Teardrops campers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Teardrops campers

Been looking at websites and forms. To see how many folks are pulling teardrop campers. Two wheels or a trike As traveling. I’m sure I’m not the only one. Less set up time & setup in bad weather. Had other campers but for me this is the best! Thanks in advance God bless all!! happy riding!

Re: Teardrops campers

Sure I’m not the only one?

In all of my camping, have never seen but 1.

IMO, pulling a 630 lb. ( empty weight) camper behind a motorcycle is dangerous. By the time you add your camping equipment, the weight could be in the area of 750 to 800 lbs. It's not the pulling that is the problem, it's the stopping that is the problem. I wonder what would happen with a panic stop? 110 lb. tongue weight on a trike seems a little high to me.

Oceanside CA, and Milford NH and lots in between

Quote Originally Posted by Jayceesfolly View Post
    IMO, pulling a 630 lb. ( empty weight) camper behind a motorcycle is dangerous. By the time you add your camping equipment, the weight could be in the area of 750 to 800 lbs. It's not the pulling that is the problem, it's the stopping that is the problem. I wonder what would happen with a panic stop? 110 lb. tongue weight on a trike seems a little high to me.
    Not sure where you came up with your 630 lbs as nothing has been said on weight or links given at the point you posted in January.

They make electric brakes which work great on small trailers if keep them adjusted properly. I've had an Aspen Sentry with electric brakes, and have towed at least 550 lbs total with it loaded around the country.
    I've known others that have towed heavier loaded trailer without brakes, not good in my opinion, but to each his own. It can be done.
    Myself, I'll put brakes on a teardrop when I build one as I go out for long durations and carry my hand tools to do the Then Came Bronson life.
    Stu.
    2008 GL1800 Level 4
    1988 KampARoo pop up
    Previously 2007 & 2008 Aspen Sentry

Newday:

I thought he mentioned the MyPod in his post. Here is the info I quoted from the MyPod website.

MyPod
    Easy to Tow. Easy to Love.
    The MyPod is a 100% fiberglass molded body on a sturdy frame. With a dry weight of 630 lbs. and tongue weight of just 110 lbs., the MyPod is a perfect for smaller towing vehicles and still packs a ton of great features. Choose from white, silver, black, blue or red. Includes Full/Double Size Bed.

As I stated, I wouldn't pull this kind of weight but the website says it can be pulled by a trike. Nothing on the website says anything about brakes. But wonder what the gross weight would be with your food, clothes, cooler, stove, etc. on board.

Wow!!! Some are quick to judge!! Maybe not here.. In traveling seen 10+ teardrops camper pulling with Tikes..
    Tent camper trailer 350-400 lbs add all gear will grow to 625-800lbs.
    ALL AREAS OF SAFETY ARE ALWAYS FRIST !!! FROM A TO B. 24/7!!
    God blessed all !! Happy traveling!!

Site Supporter

The important thing is YOU like it! We are all individuals ride different makes. Pull different trailers. pitch different tents. Just picked up a different pop up camper two days ago. Have looked at tear drops just not there yet. Would like your review of your camper after a few more years camping. Thanks!

There is a company out there that makes tiny teardrops that pull behind 2 wheelers. I saw them displaying at the Chicago Motorcycle Show a year or two ago. Might check the vendor list on the show website. Otherwise the show is 2/15ish here in Chicago. I'll look when I go.
    2017 Triumph Trophy SE

A friend of my wife's boyfriend has a tear drop camper, they don't seem to have any trouble with it and they ride two up besides on a Goldwing bike (not trike). I'd never pull it myself but...
    2019 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA