Thread: Look what I found !!! Adventures of Antiquing!!

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650 mcrider1959's Avatar

Look what I found !!! Adventures of Antiquing!!

During the southern Illinois winter months it really gets old being cooped up in the house on the weekends. To break up the monotony, the wife and I sometimes get in the car and head out to the antique stores for some browsing. We very seldom buy anything, mostly just a lot of looking. What I look for of course is anything motorcycle but, at antique stores those type of things are few and far between. On occasion tho, I will find some odd bit of motorcycle related treasure to add to my collection of stuff. It took visiting 5 antique stores to find all of this. Most of the time I don’t find anything!!

Anyone else hitting the antique stores for motorcycle stuff?? If so, post some photos of your finds.

Here is a photo of my antiquing “tally” for the cold dreary weekend back in November.
    Front row L to R: 1930’s Kilgore cast Iron sidecar rig, a Robin three wheeler, Avon aftershave bottle trike/servi-car, Back row L to R: a ceramic motorcycle planter, BMW GS book by Gregory Frazier and a Happy Days collector glass of the Fonz with his motorcycle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6409.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	201.3 KB 
ID:	22749

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650/2006 KLX250S

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Re: Look what I found !!! Adventures of Antiquing!!

I had a two wheeled motorcycle Avon aftershave bottle I got as a gift many years ago. Never thought to save it though.

I have a good friend that is a cabinet maker, but has recently gotten into making custom Urns, so I got him to make one for me. (We're all going to die at some time!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3239  -  1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	22750 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3238  -  1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	227.8 KB 
ID:	22751 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3127  -  1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	272.2 KB 
ID:	22752 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 wheels move the body.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	268.2 KB 
ID:	22753
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

My wife and I do much the same thing. Most trips we take a day and hit small town thrift stores in the area we are in. Gives us a break from constant travel and also allows us to meet some interesting people. While she is more interested in antique jewelry and glassware, I’ve picked up many motorcycle and automotive related antiques at these stores. Many at bargain prices too. Seems the people at most antique stores don’t have a real grasp of the value of some of these things on the Internet marketplaces. Same is true at many flea markets. It’s become a real challenge to find these hidden treasures.

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

My two favorite things I have found are antique wind up pressed tin motorcycles with sidecars. I'll have to get them out and take some pics of them.....
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster