Thread: Daniel Boone NF Review

Daniel Boone NF Review

So I thought I would start a new thread about DBNF with a review.
    I left on 10/23 and drove the back roads up thru TN camping at Great Meadows CG in DBNF. I went up up thru Crossville and came in from the west to Great Meadows. This takes you by Big South Fork NRRA, I was going to ride around there a bit but decided to head on north. This way also takes you thru Pickett State Park. All of these are along the northern KY/TN border and if staying at Great Meadows did not work out I was going to camp at one of the other.

Here is my Ozark Trail tee pee tent with my vstrom inside.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	teepee_motorcycle_great_meadow.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	553.0 KB 
ID:	22701

Great Meadows is a typical primitive FS campground. Driving from the west its about 13 mi of gravel from paved road to the cg (coming in from the east its only about 5 mi or so to paved road which leads to US 27). Its free. There are two loops about 100 yards apart on opposite sides of main road, one loop is open year round, other is open seasonally. There is limited water, I stopped at Pickett and got water to make sure I had it. I was surprised at how many people were there during the week. One group looked like they were living there. There were several open spots.

Got up the second day, packed up and headed north. I drove up US 27 stopping at FS office in Whitley City, KY to get some maps for DBNF but they didn't have what I was looking for. There is no easy way to travel north thru the NF. I ended up going up to Somerset and taking Hwy 192 toward London. Turns out this highway is being promoted as Rattlesnake192 Midway along this highway is Bee Rock CG along the Rockcastle River. Its a primitive cg but not free. There are two loops on either side of the river. I stopped and had lunch.

Here is a pic of walking bridge across the river with an overlook in the background.

Name:	bee_rock2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	568.9 KB 
ID:	22706

I drove on up to Koomer Ridge CG Which is a more developed cg. This cg is run by a contractor until Nov. 5 when it partially closes down for the season and fees are reduced. (sites were $25 drive in, $20 walk in, all reduced to $10 after Nov. 5) It is partially open year around They have central shower/restroom building (closed after Nov. 5) with pit toilets and water in other areas of the cg. I had planned on possibly staying at a couple other cg but rain was moving in so I decided to hunker down for a couple days and let rain pass. Also I wanted to check out Red River Gorge

Was chatting with camp host, told me Paragon CG and been closed due to being under water most of the summer due to Cave Run Lake being up 10 feet. Glad i didn't ride up there for nothing. S Tree cg was another one I was gonna check out, just didn't have time and weather wasn't the greatest.

I spent the day before the rain moved in riding around the gorge. Beautiful ride down what is called the Nada Tunnel Road.
    Here is a pic of tunnel

Name:	nada tunnel.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	485.5 KB 
ID:	22705

Took one road leading to a feature called Chimney Rock, it had a 4 wheel warning sign, thought I would give it a try until I got to this mud hole and a car went thru ahead of me and water was up to the bumper. Looked like nothing but mud all around the hole, didn't want to get all muddy or stuck in the mud.

Name:	mud hole.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	538.6 KB 
ID:	22704

My site at Koomer (bike is inside tent staying nice and dry)I cooked inside the tent to warm it up. First couple nights on the road it got down to mid 30s but warmed up later to mid 40s at night. Days were decent in the mid 60s down to mid 50s when rain moved in. Had a lot of condensation inside tent. The day it rained all day I spent hiking trails around the cg. Koomer is on a ridge and all around are trails leading down into the gorge.

Name:	koomer_ridge.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	561.9 KB 
ID:	22702

I had to pack up in the rain.

Name:	koomer_ridge2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	578.0 KB 
ID:	22703

All in all it was a good trip, I stopped in Knoxville on the way home and spent the night and took one of my kid brothers out to dinner. Broke up my ride back to GA. Hope to get back up to DBNF in the spring and do some more riding.
    Meach and Maggie
    05 vtx1300
    07 RS Venture (RIP 2016)
    09 DL 650 VSTROM

Re: Daniel Boone NF Review

Looks like you are giving your VSTROM a workout, but you gave it a room in the lodge...running around that part of the Country is made much easier and more comfortable on a bike like that vs a Harley or Goldwing. I was in that area on the Goldwing and did not really like some of those back roads that would have been a breeze on a STROM.....Thanks for the pics...pretty country this time of year, if the weather is cooperating.

Thanks for the write up. Looks like you are having a good time with the bike
    Deb

2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Nice trip report! I really need to check out more of this part of the state, the majority of riding I have done in Eastern Kentucky has been on an ATV around Evarts.

Looks like the V-Strom is working out well for you!
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

(Threadstarter)

The vstrom has been a great bike to so far. Only issue I've had is when I get all bundled up for cold weather my legs are so stiff I have a hard time getting on and off. I bought me some mesh pants that also have a quilted liner and rain liner I can take in and out. Heated grips has been nice. I need to do some electrical calculations to make sure my heated jacket liner, etc. doesn't exceed output as I ride this winter.

I was hoping to ride a few more roads I saw on one of my maps but rain slowed me down. Not sure which roads on map are paved or gravel, need a better map which shows. The vstrom does great on gravel, would have been slower going on a cruiser.

I hope to get back up there at some point. Weather was almost perfect until the rain moved in.

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650 mcrider1959's Avatar

Thanks for the nice write up on the DBNF, Meach!! It has been many years since I did any riding in that area of Kentucky. I think that I camped at a CG at Cave Run Lake back then.

Roger

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650/2006 KLX250S

Thanks for the write-up Meach. Glad to hear the Strom is getting you to some out of the way places.

Jeff
    2005 Yamaha RoadStar 1700 * 2006 Neosho Starlight Model 19 Tag-Trailer * 2009 Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate