Thread: Daniel Boone NF?

Daniel Boone NF?

Thinking about taking a road trip in the coming weeks up to DBNF, just wondering if anyone has any insights on good places to camp or areas to avoid.
    Looking at Koomer Ridge CG area but may just head north to KY and see where I end up. Have never been up to that area that I can recall.

I need to double check and see when they close down some of the more developed campgrounds. Tis the leaf watchin season but more than likely I'll camp during the week to avoid weekenders.

At the last min. I was going to ride up to Blackwater Falls but boss said no, got grandson bday party to help with this weekend. Looks like cold and rainy weather anyway.
    Meach and Maggie
    05 vtx1300
    07 RS Venture (RIP 2016)
    09 DL 650 VSTROM

Re: Daniel Boone NF?

DBNF has a primitive campground called S-Tree near London KY. There are horse camps there that also have water & electric that I've also used when no one else was in there. Further east is Natural Bridge State Park it has 2 camping areas with hookups. Both these are good. I think Laurel Lake further south than S-Tree has some camping. Enjoy!

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

A little further north of Koomer Ridge CG, I stayed at Twin Knobs CG on Cave Run Lake, which is a nice, manicured cg
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

(Threadstarter)

I like the more rustic cg on my solo trips since I don't use electric and can always find water somewhere. The more amenities (which I rarely use) usually means more $

Site Supporter

So did you get to DBNF? How was the cg? Deb and I leave Sunday afternoon headed south to run Skyline Drive an BRP for 4 days. Plan to stay in cg 3 of the nights.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
    So did you get to DBNF? How was the cg? Deb and I leave Sunday afternoon headed south to run Skyline Drive an BRP for 4 days. Plan to stay in cg 3 of the nights.
    No, looking at maybe late next week, Oct always a buisy month, will see how weather looks. I bought me a new tee pee tent I can put bike in tent with me at night

Hope you guys have a good trip. Gonna be some chilly weather esp. the higher elevations.

Quote Originally Posted by Meach View Post
    I like the more rustic cg on my solo trips since I don't use electric and can always find water somewhere. The more amenities (which I rarely use) usually means more $
    I've been meaning to check out Paragon Campsite, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    You'll have to bring/filter your own water, but it looks promising and the price can't be beat. - https://goo.gl/maps/y7oTNgNVBUQ2

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    I've been meaning to check out Paragon Campsite, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
    You'll have to bring/filter your own water, but it looks promising and the price can't be beat. - https://goo.gl/maps/y7oTNgNVBUQ2
    So I made it up to DB last week, I was gonna start a new thread with a review. The main camp host at Koomer Ridge CG works mainly at another cg up on cave lake, they moved him temp. to KR, we were chatting and I mentioned Paragon because I was gonna try and stay there, he said its been closed most of the summer due to being under water because the lake was up around 10 feet or so. I noticed on the FS website later there was an update saying Paragon was still closed. This guy said its a nice cg but he confirmed some of the reviews I had read that local teens, etc. have been using it as a party place and leaving all their trash.

Thanks for that information, Steve!