Thread: Painting a Utility Trailer

Painting a Utility Trailer

I have a 5 x 8 utility trailer that I have had for many years. About 2 years ago I used to pick up a motorcycle with in January. It was snowing on the way to get the bike and the trailer got covered in salt. Since then the trailer has been rusting. I took all of the wood off the trailer last weekend and sanded down the rust. I am going to use Extend on the rusty places and then give it a coat of paint. I need to use an oil based enamel to go over the extend. My go to paint has been Rust-Oleum. From reading reviews about Rust-Oleum some people say it has changed and it is not as good as it was in the past. With all of the work that I put into cleaning the rust off the trailer I do not want to it again in a few years because the paint I used was not good.
    I have seen on this forum a lot of very nice projects that many people have done. What paint do you use or recommend for this project. I am not set up to spray the paint I will need to brush it on. I am not looking for a car like finish I am looking for a finish that will protect the trailer from rust for many years to come.
    Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Roger L

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Re: Painting a Utility Trailer

A couple of guys I know who repair/restore old cars swear by Eastwood products for coating frames with surface rust.

https://www.eastwood.com/paints/rust...treatment.html
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Re: Painting a Utility Trailer

Start with a good zink based primer ... without a good primer, the top coat woun’t adhere well.

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.