Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Going to Montana soon....

Re: Going to Montana soon....

Was at Glacier last year and "Sun Road" was closed due to snow storm, this was mid to late June.... On the Glacier park map was a place called Polebridge Mt. went in search of it and came across these places restaurants/cafes, had some of the best brisket I have ever eaten at Home Ranch Bottom, all electricy is provided by generator/solar and gas is propane, still further down the road we found Polebridge, from the amount people eating there they must have had some great food as well, I know their pastries were very tasty(bear claws shaped like bear claws). As far as I could tell that one building is Polebridge, camping is available in the area.....

http://www.homeranchbottoms.com/
    http://polebridgemerc.com/

Well worth the visit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6798.jpg   IMG_6799.jpg   IMG_6805.jpg   IMG_6811.jpg   IMG_6801.jpg  

IMG_6792.jpg  
    2003 BMW K1200LTE
    Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
    I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
    Will Rogers

Dusty I know your a seasoned rider so I ask this question on Smoke.

I have traveled the Will Rogers Turnpike in OK. It is divided and limited access.
    They have signs "Don't Drive into Smoke". So if a wildfire is burning its not going to end very fast.
    What is a rider, or driver do? Stop till it quits, turn around, but no place to cross berm of grass on this road.

What do you do in BC with smoke everywhere? Never had to find out but wondered.

Buttset from Mo.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Just keep riding Mike, unless they have the road shut down. You ride according to conditions.
    Last year we were in some very heavy smoke from local fires (all active) around Glacier NP (between Revelstoke and Rogers Pass) and then again riding through Kootenay NP, where at times visibility was less than 100 yds at best!
    One year I was driving back to Penticton from dropping my girls off at the airport in Vancouver. While east bound on Hwy 1, I saw on the electronic warning signs advising conditions of Hwys 1, 5 and 3, that the one for Hwy 3 said delays due to a fire, but that is the way I have to head for home. I guess shortly after I committed to taking Hwy 3, they closed it behind me due to the fire jumping the highway. Long story short, they stopped east bound traffic about a mile from where the fire was, then they would open the highway and let about 20 - 30 cars through where the fire was raging on both sides of the road and then stop it while the fire bombers would come in and dump fire retardant and then open it to allow another 20 -30 cars through. The smoke was so thick and dark, could just make out the police in the middle of the road with flashlights, directing you on, while we were creeping along at about 10 mph. The heat felt through the car windows was very intense
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    As for Glacier, it is all spectacular, and while the west side of the Going to the Sun Highway is closed, you can still go up to Logan Pass from the East.
    Was there a couple of weeks ago. Yes, closed at Logan Pass. The best part of the highway is inaccessible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LoganPass.jpg  
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

ILIKEYMYWING!
    (Threadstarter)

We returned from out trip well over two weeks ago, but due to family issues, upon my return I had to make a quick trip to Lewisburg, TN. Didn't take the Wing, drove the care instead and it was a good choice. While in Montana we did forgo the planned trip to Glacier NP and instead opted to head to souther Montana and went to Red Lodge, MT which was the gateway to Bear Tooth Hwy and Chief Joseph. It was a great choice! Bear Tooth Hwy IS the best road I have been on in a long time. We enjoyed the road, the vista and the views! We then went onto Chief Joseph and toward Cody, WY. For our return trip to the east, we did stop at Little Big Horn, Devils Tower, Crazy Horse and Mt Rushmore! After crossing South Dakota and Iowa, we headed for Illinois where we were to split up, my friend lives in Southern IL. The trip home for IL was good, but not great, because for the last three days of our trip it was nothing but heavy rain. We had to do about 500 miles in a constant downpour. Hotels and motels were our best places to stop, as our BH did get a bit waterlogged!
    2008 GL1800-HPNA with 55,000+ miles
    1995 BunkHouse camper
    Darkside #1720

Anyone run into bear problems out this way? I've heard that I shouldn't even keep a toothpaste in the tent with me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk