Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to Montana soon....

ILIKEYMYWING!
    (Threadstarter)

Re: Going to Montana soon....

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Perfect time to do the Beartooth/Chief Joseph Scenic Byways and the Bighorns on your way back to SD.
    Highly suggest taking 78 from Columbus MT to Red Lodge and onwards to Devils Tower - https://goo.gl/maps/XRRLrtvUN2L2
    The Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody is well worth a full day to check out!
    That sounds like a good plan!

Quote Originally Posted by snowclem View Post
    Is this the end of your 1st day? Enjoy your trip. Did you consider doing US2 instead of I94 on the way out?

Richard
    We actually leave in about 11 days and we will be taking US2 once we cross the Big MAC
    2008 GL1800-HPNA with 55,000+ miles
    1995 BunkHouse camper
    Darkside #1720

have a great trip ride safe and enjoy the open road!
    2012 goldwing
    2012 timeout xl1800
    2014 roll a home
    2017 africa twin

Have a good trip, after the Northwoods campout couple years ago I went on up across the Mac and followed US2 across the country thru Glacier and on to WA. It was a great ride, beautiful weather, great road. I was really impressed by the road across ND, bout the smoothest I'd ever ridden on. Set my cruise for 75 and sat back and listened to a public radio station out of Winnepeg.

FYI there are a couple free sites along your route, first town you come to in MT is Culbertson, free camping at the city park. Restroom facilities, can set up camper in parking lot (I was tent camping so set up in the grass). A nice little visitor center before you get to town.

Another free site is at Libby, MT. but looks like you're not going that far on 2.

At Shelby MT before you get to Glacier there is a camping behind the Best Western, they have a nice laundry facility if needed. I think camping was around $20, first and only time I ever paid for camping at the motel desk. A lot of railroad workers stay in the motel.
    Meach and Maggie
    05 vtx1300
    07 RS Venture (RIP 2016)
    09 DL 650 VSTROM

ILIKEYMYWING!
    (Threadstarter)

It's starting to look like parts of Glacier NP will be restricted due to Forest Fires...Read that 30 mile of the "Going to the Sun Road" have been closed...Have about another week before I leave and a few days before we arrive there...time will tell!!

It looks like the fires are on the west side of GNP (at the moment). If they continue, you might consider doing a couple of short rides entering from the east side. Going to the Sun is the only road that crosses he park, but it won't with the fire closure. If it were me, I'd ride Many Glaciers Trail all the way back in and out and ride up to the Icefield Parkway. It's a full days ride to get there, but worth the trip and not likely to have the fire issues. With going to the sun closed, there will be less tourists around and the opportunity to see wildlife will be better. Icefields on a clear day is the most scenic ride in North America, in my opinion.

Richard

I second the "the Beartooth/Chief Joseph Scenic Byways and the Bighorn". As for Glacier, it is all spectacular, and while the west side of the Going to the Sun Highway is closed, you can still go up to Logan Pass from the East. More than worth it; same with the other suggestions. Check with the Park Service for current closing and whatnot.

It is not nearly as smokey as last year...

Have a great trip!

Curtis in /\/\onTana! {!-{>

I read on another forum that the smoke is very bad in the Canadian Rockies right now. Hopefully they'll get more of these fires under control soon.

Richard

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Pretty well the entire Provence of BC is blanketed with smoke !!
    Bad year for fires!
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Pretty well the entire Provence of BC is blanketed with smoke !!
    Bad year for fires!
    My cousin and his wife have the coolest farm out near Colville, WA called Douglas Falls Creamery A lot of the BC smoke has been blowing south the last few days, the've posted some photos showing how thick it's been.

Central ID has also been having a lot fires this year, my brother has been evacuated twice because of fires.

Last year the smoke was pretty bad in western MT and WA when we were out there, looks like this year is even worse.

ILIKEYMYWING!
    (Threadstarter)

on the road, shortly!