Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tent,tent camper,motel

Re: tent,tent camper,motel

Anyone actually had a bear encounter?
    I'm really only concerned about nights in the tent. If a bear did enter the campsite, at what point do you decide it's best to exit the tent and give'r a dose of OC?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by H19HSP33D View Post
    Anyone actually had a bear encounter?
    I'm really only concerned about nights in the tent. If a bear did enter the campsite, at what point do you decide it's best to exit the tent and give'r a dose of OC?

I tented 16 days in campgrounds when I did my trip to Alaska. Campgrounds are places I believe where bears avoid. Campgrounds don't seem concerned about bears and most couldn't even remember when they had a bear around if we did ask about them. Spending a night along the road or at a remote camp spot could be something different but I always wanted to stay at a place where they had showers.

If you are concerned when to spray I would say before he even thinks about entering the tent....you would want to deter a bear immediately from your campsite.

Thanks you... Appreciate it. That's reassuring. I'm hoping to stick with established campgrounds.

When we were in Hyder, the morning we were leaving, a small black came wondering down the camp road. At about 40 yards l let him know that he wasn't alone. It took him a moment to figure out where I was but when he did, he left very quickly. I also rode up on a grizzly sow with twins in Glacier national Park. I'm not sure what I was doing, but I got closer than I would have if I was awake. Anyway after she checked to make sure her cubs were close, she got all 3 of them up the side of the mountain a lot faster than I thought it could. My experience is that they don't want much to do with us. I always consider it good when I see them.

Richard

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

you don't want to get much closer than this to a Grizz!

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Don't be this guy.....this was not me or my partner just some cager with a Harley hoodie on that was thinking he was stealthy trying to take a close up pic.....smh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	34190311_2173748045974549_3271421729745928192_n.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	23285

Site Supporter

30 0r more years ago i was camping with some retreads on the sky line drive camp ground at big meadows.Bears could be counted on to appear every morning and evening to go through camp looking for food in trash cans.We were told they like to chew on motorcycle seats.A mom bear and cub came to mine and I hit her in the nose.I was standing on the other side of my bike.NOT SMART.BUT SHE DID WANDER AWAY.My only encounter with a bear.
    LuRay
    TURTLE

Any one like the YOU TUBE Joe Rogen interviews?

Great story of some Elk Hunters way north. They were stopping for lunch, sitting in a circle.
    Big Brown charged in, he said they all scattered and they thought the bear could not decide
    who to grab. The guy telling said he had a pistol, on a pack 3ft away, but when he saw the bear,
    coming he did not think he could reach, it in time. He ran like everyone else.
    One guy hit it with a walking pole, and rode it for a ways.. LOL
    It left, them false charged one more time and left.

Joe said how big was it? 11 ft 6 inches he said, because the bear was killed same spot the
    next week. He said wind was 50-60 mph, if they had been injured a chopper could not have
    came for them. Too Windy to land. Later at camp they put up some battery powered, bear fence.

Buttset from Mo.