Thread: Aspen Classic Mattress upgrade

Aspen Classic Mattress upgrade

We weren't very happy with the stock mattress in our Aspen last year. Too thin and too soft for our comfort and seems to be a common complaint with these mattresses. We tried a memory foam mattress topper last year but it has to be stowed separately and then make the bed every time you setup and then strip the bed and put everything away on teardown.

I ordered a 3 inch California king size Lux R foam from foam by mail and cut it down to the size of the Aspen mattresses. Quite a lot cheaper cutting it yourself rather than ordering custom sized mattresses.

https://www.foambymail.com/LR_2/lux-...-mattress.html

I then took them and the stock mattresses downtown to a seamstress there who removed the original foam and added a gusset all the way around and zippers on the long side so that they can be replaced in the future. Got them done today which was awesome as we are leaving in the morning for a 2 and a half week trip thru SD, ND, MN, WI, MI and IA. I'd requested another panel joining the 2 mattresses together and still allowing them to fold, she forgot to do that but is going to do it when we return. Picked them up this afternoon and the bill came to only $53! I gave her a $40 tip and still figured I got off cheap.

Stretched out on them in the camper and it's going to be a lot more comfortable than what we had before. I'll get some pics when we get everything finished and have some time.

Got to pack...............
    Randy
    2009 Road King 2014 Mini Mate sold
    2016 Road Glide Ultra
    2017 Aspen Classic

Re: Aspen Classic Mattress upgrade

Interested!
    We're slow, and like to go old!

Very interested. Can't wait to hear an after trip report and see some pictures.
    Deb

2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

THANK YOU!

Fill

’94 GL 1500 SE Extras: SIRUS Satellite Radio, Garmin GPS, SADDLEMAN Road Sofa and Touring Luggage, Touring Floodlights, Multiple Deer Whistles.
    Pulling an ’80 Eagle 1 Trailer or ’12 Roll A Home (wide bed, brakes)
    GWRRA / IBMC / TT / KOA

@sujada, how's the new foam working out??

(Threadstarter)

We just arrived back a week ago from a 2 1/2 week trip. The foam is a definite improvement over stock. My wife and I were both happy with the upgrade. No bottoming out even for a side sleeper like me. I took them back to get the additional panel on them so they don't slide apart and should have them back tomorrow or Friday. Even with the 3 inch foam, I'm still able to stack them and fold up OK. just a little tight. I'll get some pictures up when I get them back.

(Threadstarter)

Finally got back to this with a few pictures

This is the panel that my seamstress, Gennys Sewing, put in to accommodate the new 3 inch foam

She put in 2 zippers in each mattress half so that the foam can be replaced if needed. They completely open the long edge and about 15 inches down the narrow edge.

The above modifications were done prior to our trip North. They made the mattress sleep much better but with the velcro gone and one not fastened to the lid of the basement door, they tended to slide apart. I returned them to Genny and she added a panel to the top edge to keep the mattresses together but still allow them to fold together.

My next step is to try a queen sized mattress pad and fitted sheet to the mattresses as they are all made for the deep household mattresses, I think they will fit fine on this 3 inch king size.

anyone 2020 for this thread?
    what's up, guys?

Have you tried foldable mattresses? It's easier to transport, imho

though, foam ones are quite good too.