Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's talk dry ice

Re: Let's talk dry ice

Is that one of those coolers that keep it so cool below the outside temp or does it just get so cold, no matter the outside temp? A lot of them just cool like 30 degrees below outside temp so if it's 80 degrees out, it'll go to 50 degrees.
    2019 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
    Is that one of those coolers that keep it so cool below the outside temp or does it just get so cold, no matter the outside temp? A lot of them just cool like 30 degrees below outside temp so if it's 80 degrees out, it'll go to 50 degrees.
    It supposedly keeps things 25 degrees below outside temp, however, mine does better. Again, it's the same mechanism on those little college refrigerators. But the bag is much smaller, so it does a great job of cooling. I'd say mine keeps things to about 42-45 degrees with it being 80 outside. There is no thermostat. Just a WARM-COOL switch. I really like it. But YMMV. These are Chinese, so no telling what the quality control is. One unit could be great, the next could be a dud.

The cooling mechanism is just cut into the side of the duffel bag. If you wanted to, you could easily remove the mechanism (it is attached with a plate and screws), then get a LARGER bag, like those beer coolers on wheels and cut out a hole and mount the unit in there instead of the small duffel bag it's manufactured with. I'd do that, but my Honda can't carry too much and the bag size is perfect for me. Again, it will hold a six pack, some milk, some meat and that's about it. But that's good enough for me.
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

I’m living behind times. Where would you go to find dry ice?

Quote Originally Posted by denny66 View Post
    I’m living behind times. Where would you go to find dry ice?
    Just Google "DRY ICE NEAR ME" and you'll probably find a few places you can buy it near you .... depending on where you live.

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Fred Meyer, Fries and quite a few grocery centers do. Ask at the meat department. Look for a display by the regular ice.

It is really nice to keep ice cream fully frozen while camping out. I have to put the container on the picnic table for a little while before I can get a spoon into it. It is a nice treat for sure. If you find it in the meat department, buy some and then head over to the ice cream treats.... put both in a paper bag and put it on top of your ice in your regular cooler.

Yummmm.........

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by LarryinSeattle View Post
    Fred Meyer, Fries and quite a few grocery centers do. Ask at the meat department. Look for a display by the regular ice.

It is really nice to keep ice cream fully frozen while camping out. I have to put the container on the picnic table for a little while before I can get a spoon into it. It is a nice treat for sure. If you find it in the meat department, buy some and then head over to the ice cream treats.... put both in a paper bag and put it on top of your ice in your regular cooler.

Yummmm.........
    Thanks for the tip
    Deb

2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Quote Originally Posted by LarryinSeattle View Post

Yummmm.........
    I know this is a older thread but just bumped into it again. I was In Oregon this past fall and had never been into a Fred Meyer or even heard of them outside of this thread. As soon as I walked in the door a gentleman who was also visiting the area was buying dry ice to ship some fish back to his home. Just something we don’t see around here.

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)

As long as this thread was bumped up I thought I would finish it up by telling you what I did and how it worked.

Coleman Xtreme 28QT cooler (hard side)
    1 block of dry ice (block is about the same size and the inside of the cooler) wrapped in a few layers of newspaper
    Made a cover for the cooler from Reflectix (you buy this at Home Depot or Lowes)

Put everything I wanted frozen below the dry ice. I only opened the cooler once per day to get out food for the day. I also carried my soft sided Polar Bear cooler with regular ice for drinks and defrosting my frozen stuff in.

Stuff was still frozen at the end of 5 days with a small chunk of dry ice left. Outside temps were in the high 70's low 80's and I kept the cooler in the shade, wrapped in the Reflectix.

Long story short, it met my needs perfectly. It would allow me not to make daily trips to the store to purchase food.

Good report