Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member going C2C

Re: New member going C2C

Howdy from Denver Colorado. I agree with the previous poster who said "Why 66??" IMHO it would be a project since most of old 66 doesn't even exist anymore. I traveled 66 back in the early '60's while serving in the Navy. It was a complete highway from Chicago to California that was taken over by the interstate system. Travel back then was very much different than in the present, but there are still many Blue highways out there. My first trip was in 1961 (excluding 1946 as a small babe) and they were making 66 into a three-lane road. Two lanes with suicide lane in the middle. Yikes! I think that was the beginning of the end. At construction areas, we had to take detours off the highway through what was pastures. The construct of the interstate dried up many small towns and changed the lay of the land in New Mexico and Arizona to name a few. I remember viewing many miles of rusty junkyards full of old jalopies trying to make it to California but failed. That would be during the Great Depression when the Okies were trying to escape the dustbowl and get to the promised land of California. As the novel 'Grapes of Wrath' points out, they may have just stayed in Oklahoma with about the same results.

Anyway, if you decide to do the trip, there are some costly tours available, but I think it would be more rewarding to DIY.

Thank you for being a great ally to the USA. I'm sure that the majority of us are 100% behind you (except for some snowflakes).
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

Welcome from South Central Wisconsin
    Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by bvail View Post
    Howdy from Denver Colorado. I agree with the previous poster who said "Why 66??" IMHO it would be a project since most of old 66 doesn't even exist anymore. I traveled 66 back in the early '60's while serving in the Navy. It was a complete highway from Chicago to California that was taken over by the interstate system. Travel back then was very much different than in the present, but there are still many Blue highways out there. My first trip was in 1961 (excluding 1946 as a small babe) and they were making 66 into a three-lane road. Two lanes with suicide lane in the middle. Yikes! I think that was the beginning of the end. At construction areas, we had to take detours off the highway through what was pastures. The construct of the interstate dried up many small towns and changed the lay of the land in New Mexico and Arizona to name a few. I remember viewing many miles of rusty junkyards full of old jalopies trying to make it to California but failed. That would be during the Great Depression when the Okies were trying to escape the dustbowl and get to the promised land of California. As the novel 'Grapes of Wrath' points out, they may have just stayed in Oklahoma with about the same results.

Anyway, if you decide to do the trip, there are some costly tours available, but I think it would be more rewarding to DIY.
    I agree, did it 3 years ago from Oklahoma west, the virtually disappears in some places. Found myself on gravel roads several times. That said, there are come really nice places to visit. Blue Swallow Motel in Tucumcari, New Mexico is a great place to spend the night. It is one of the original motels and each room has it's own garage to park in and has different murals on the walls in the garage.I highly recommend it.
    2010 GL1800 Endeavor Reverse Trike, Leesure Lite Excel camper.

Welcome from NE Ohio.
    Bill & Sharon - 2007 Triumph Tiger