Thread: HJC / J&M Audio Helmet

HJC / J&M Audio Helmet

I got my first bike in 1971, a Honda 500/4. Because I wanted to be one of the nicest people you meet on my new bike. I also bought an open face helmet.

Some things don’t change. I’m not that nice any more, but I have never ridden with anything but open face head gear… until yesterday. As I “mature” I thought I might need a tad more protection, especially with the abbreviated Idaho riding season.

I ordered a HJC IS Max 2 Modular helmet from J&M MC Audio. Yesterday I rode 365 miles from Sandpoint down to Lewiston, Idaho.

When we left temp was 28 degrees F, I put down clear face shield and closed the two vents. The two things that I noticed first were the face shield fogged up. Eventually I learned to open the little chin vent and crack (bad word) the face plate one click to clear your vision, until you become “As One” with the helmet. Never happen with open face and a universal shield.

With cold weather it’s easy to feel more turbulence inside the helmet, especially in the areas around your ears, with or without everything open. The only place I can see that much air coming in is through the two permanently open vents on the back side of the helmet

I’m riding a stock ’94 Goldwing, with that large windscreen. My visual center is 1 – 2 inches below the top edge. The old open face is probably heavier than the HJC, especially with 14 years of sweat collected in the padding, but the HJC puts more strain on your neck. Probably because of greater surface area for wind to hit.

I have always had J&M headsets in my helmets. This time I ordered the Elite 801 set. I did notice that I used a lower volume on the radio dial. My music is supplied by a SIRUS unit set for 50’s, 60’s, Classic Country and Classic Symphony.

Fill

’94 GL 1500 SE Extras: SIRUS Satellite Radio, Garmin GPS, SADDLEMAN Road Sofa and Touring Luggage, Touring Floodlights, Multiple Deer Whistles.
    Pulling an ’80 Eagle 1 Trailer or ’12 Roll A Home (wide bed, brakes)
    GWRRA / IBMC / TT / KOA

Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Indianapolis Indiana

Re: HJC / J&M Audio Helmet

Quote Originally Posted by Fill View Post
    I got my first bike in 1971, a Honda 500/4. Because I wanted to be one of the nicest people you meet on my new bike
    😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣😆😆😂😂
    The deepest spot in Lake Superior, The largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.

A pin lock face shield w/ inner lens is about the only way to stop fogging in a FF helmet. You’ll find most modular’s are going to be noisier than a non flip model, but far more convenient. I’ve found a strip of mole hair(think fly tying) between the helmet and shield stops almost all wind noise and doesn’t affect the operation of the shield. B.
    2008 GL1800
    CSC Escapade Elite cargo trailer
    Kwik Kamp camper trailer

I have the same helmet and agree with Tourit, get a pin lock fog shield. It’ll eliminate the fogging.

BTW, it’s a great helmet. Read on another forum about a place in England that does tests on helmets. This one was better in crash test than both the Neotec and Schubert. Very interesting.
    USAF Retired (66-86) STOC #297
    2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
    1991 ST1100 & 2011 Aspen Sentry(RIP)

I put many miles and memories on a 1972 CB 500/4 also. Had the first Vetter Windjammer in the Fargo, ND/Moorhead, Mn area. Local dealers sold many of those because of mine.
    I practically lived on that bike the first couple summers. Averaged 10,000 miles per year for 4 years, considering we have short summers compared to some other areas, that is a lot of
    riding.

(Threadstarter)

I put many miles and memories on a 1972 CB 500/4 also. Had the first Vetter Windjammer in the Fargo, ND/Moorhead, Mn area.

Hi Limpy (Age 45 ?)
    I got my first Vetter fairing in the mid 70's, color matched to my Yamaha XS 750 D. Tell me if I wrong, but I seem to remember in the Vetter owners brochure had a sentence that said not to wax the fairing; just spray it with PAM.

Fill