Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where to camp near Mount Rushmore..??

Re: Where to camp near Mount Rushmore..??

I've stayed at this campground during the rally at Sturgis. It was nice and had shuttle service into Sturgis. Being a short distance outside of town made it nice during the rally if you didn't want to go through town. http://nonamecity.com/
    We ride because we can .... Victory Hammer with Trans Moto Sidecar, Kompact Kamp Mini Mate

(Threadstarter)

Thanks for all the suggestions. Wife and I are finally getting to make this trip. It is 3 days riding to get there and plan to spend 3 days there, riding the Spearfish Canyon loop, Needles highway, and Iron Mountain Road.
    Our plans last year did not happen as wife had a gall bladder operation a week before our trip was planned, and then had complications.

We are heading out next Tuesday, pulling our Leesure Lite with the Indian Roadmaster.

--
    Gordon

Site Supporter

Deb and I are on our way to Deadwood SD for their 3 Wheel Rally. We ride 2 CanAm Spyders.I pull a LL also and Deb pulls our "chuck wagon".We will also be checking out Mount Rushmore around the 13th.

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
    Deb and I are on our way to Deadwood SD for their 3 Wheel Rally. We ride 2 CanAm Spyders.I pull a LL also and Deb pulls our "chuck wagon".We will also be checking out Mount Rushmore around the 13th.
    Are you planning on camping..?? If so, where are you planning to stay. We will be there from the 12 - 15th....

--
    Gordon

Site Supporter

Right now our plan is to be in Deadwood SD from the 9th till the 13th. For the 3 wheel rally . The last thing were doing on the 13th is a ride following the Veteran Road Warriors to Mount Rushmore . We have not pick out a camp ground yet . For either at Deadwood or Mount Rushmore . Hope to check that out tomorrow at our next stop on our way to Deadwood .

Site Supporter

Deb and I have a friend whose a vendor at the rally who suggested a campground called Days of '76 Campground. In Deadwood

Something to see out there at Sturgis area that a lot of people never see is at the Air Force base. They have an underground missile silo that you can tour. Still has the missile in there...
    2019 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
    Something to see out there at Sturgis area that a lot of people never see is at the Air Force base. They have an underground missile silo that you can tour. Still has the missile in there...
    It's an interesting tour.

http://www.sdairandspacemuseum.com/tours-and-events
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by almosthere View Post
    Deb and I have a friend whose a vendor at the rally who suggested a campground called Days of '76 Campground. In Deadwood
    I'm thinking we may stay one night at the KOA Palmer Gulch for the first night, and then down in Custer for the second and third night. We will be riding through Deadwood on Saturday, doing the Spearfish loop and over to the Indian Dealer in Sturgis (to get the T-shirt). Going to do Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road on Sunday.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    I'm thinking we may stay one night at the KOA Palmer Gulch for the first night, and then down in Custer for the second and third night. We will be riding through Deadwood on Saturday, doing the Spearfish loop and over to the Indian Dealer in Sturgis (to get the T-shirt). Going to do Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road on Sunday.
    This is my favorite National Forest campground around Custer. Doubt if you'd need a reservation, even during Sturgis! Will be staying there again this summer during the 2nd week of Sturgis

http://www.motocampers.com/forums/sh...-Forest-Custer
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg