Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Southeastern OH campout

Re: Possible Southeastern OH campout

Depending on date, I'd be interested too.

Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Indianapolis Indiana

Count me in!!!

I would definitely be interested. We just had our motorcycle expo here and some folks had a booth set up talking about the routs over there. They had two others besides the "555" and all looked great. They showed us an app that riders could download giving info at any location on the rout. I'll post that info later In case anybody is interested. At that time of the year things are winding down so I'm in! 👍
    The deepest spot in Lake Superior, The largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.

Re: Count me in!!!

Sounds like you have enough interest.pick a date an see how many show up .I bet you will get more an more every year if you make it a yearly event

Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Indianapolis Indiana
    Last edited by Trailace; 04-17-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Aloha!

The Triple Nickle is challenging. As I have stated, it's not the Dragon, but if you are not familiar with the twisties, it can catch you totally off guard. There are many really challenging roads to ride in Southern Ohio. That part of the state is vastly different from central and northern Ohio. And it sneaks up on you quickly. If you ride south from Columbus, quickly you get into a very different riding atmosphere than central Ohio. Flat farmland turns into winding twisty roads rapidly. From the American Motorcycle Museum in Pickerington (near Columbus) I have taken Rte 256 out to Baltimore, Ohio (flat and straight) and then turned right to ride SR 664 down to Hocking Hills State Park. I can tell you that about 5 miles south of Rte 256 you realize you are not in the flat farmland of Ohio any longer.

Yep, pick a date, Granny. You have plenty of interest. I sent you the dates I can make it in my PM last week.
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

Picked up a Mini Mate last fall, have yet to pull it with my ST1100, but hope to get some use out of it this year. I would be very interested in a SE Ohio camp. Pretty familiar with the region as I host the ST-Owners' OH-STOC event (June 7-10, 2018) which is hosted at Lake Hope State Park (10-15 miles from Hocking Hills). LOTS of fantastic riding in the area.

Check out the "Ohio Windy 9" routes on this link. 555 is listed there. I prefer 555's lower 1/3, from Chesterhill to the river. It is a lovely, flowing, rhythm-y and scenic ride. Middle section is the "Bite your azz" portion with lots of blind-cresting turns and several decreasing radius attention-getters. Northern 1/3 is nothing special, and the pavement was starting to fall apart last time I rode it.

78 from Glouster to I-77 (an Ohio Scenic Route) is another great ride. And 530 from Lowell to I-77 is a hoot, but only about 10 miles!

I have some personal favorites that I don't advertise too much as I don't want them spoiled! ;-)

So, put a date on it and they will come!
    Last edited by Trailace; 04-17-2018 at 09:31 PM.

If the dates works out for me I'd love to camp/ride in SE Ohio. Ohio State Park Group Sites are small, few tables and some parks have dirt/grass road to site and poor bike parking and no alcohol allowed in State Parks. Maybe a deal can be stuck with a private campground that has a big area and maybe a shelter house nearby.

Re: Count me in!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rondarider View Post
    Sounds like you have enough interest.pick a date an see how many show up .I bet you will get more an more every year if you make it a yearly event
    I agree. Pick a good date that works for you. You build it, they'll come.

We have been talking about this over the last few days. It seems that there is plenty of things scheduled in September. October gets cold after the first couple weeks. So I am thinking spring would be a better time. This year is a bit challenging because I have to work a company shut down from the last week of March to May 7th or till we are done. I am thinking sometime after that would be the best time if we try to do this.

OK, so we're saying probably June or July? Has a location been decided on?
    2019 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA